ScummVM Release 1.9.0 Testing Has Begun

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

OU812 wrote:Here are a few of the issues I've encountered with the SDL port. Having tested in on 10+ Android phones and 3 tablets. Can give make/models if needed.

Loads slower on most devices

Forcing the 4:3 aspect ratio from the SDL launching menu make ScummVM un-usable if launched in portrait mode

Forcing the 4:3 aspect ratio from the SDL launching menu works in landscape then breaks when rotated into portrait

Won't let you edit game names using capital letters with the on screen keyboard

On screen keyboard icon can not be made completely transparent.

Background yellow to orange gradient is a blurry mess, yet visible in standard version.

Game launching menu screen truncates long game name earlier than standard version.

Menus are smaller, must scroll through tabs in the "options" menu. The "About" menu is smaller and harder to read.
I can't understand what do you mean with "load slower".
I added 2 sec pause for possibility to enter in startup menu when run scummvm. I can decrease this pause to any lesser time.
Time of running games approximately the same. I did not see any difference with it. If you have device with multicore cpu you can use "separate thread for video" in startup settings it can improve total performance.
Portrait mode doesn't work correct with aspect ratio and it disabled by default. I can hide it from startup-menu. In any way gles port also support only landscape mode.
I can confirm that capital letter doesn't work correct with internal keyboard of android sdl port. But big advantage of android-sdl port is full keyboard with keys as F1..F12, ESC, SHIFT, CONTROL etc... In new version this built-in keyboard will be semi-transparent. You can also call on screen scummvm built-in keyboard with long (>1s) touching three fingers on screen and use capital letter with it.
On-screen keyboard icon can be mostly transparent if you setup it in startup menu. But a better way is hide/show it from screen with quick touching three fingers on screen.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

OU812 wrote: Background yellow to orange gradient is a blurry mess, yet visible in standard version.

Game launching menu screen truncates long game name earlier than standard version.

Menus are smaller, must scroll through tabs in the "options" menu. The "About" menu is smaller and harder to read.
Could you please provide screenshots for these?
Vorph

Myst: Masterpiece Edition

Post by Vorph »

Hello Guys,

just completed Myst(Masterpiece Edition/Windows/German)

ScummVM Version 1.9.0git6705-g1f541a7 (Sep 18 2016 04:22:56) 32Bit
OS Version Windows 10 (1607) 64Bit

No problems occured...

Regards,
Vorph
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hello again,

tested another one Maniac Mansion(C64/English) - Meteor Police Path

No problems occured...

Regards,
Vorph
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

I tested Beneath a Steel Sky DOS (0.0372 CD) on Windows 10 64-bit (with the 32-bit build) with 1.9.0-git6806-gb0e433c

I got the error where Anita's text stayed on the screen (bug https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/4792) but it was in high speed mode and joostp mentioned in that bug report that such cases are expected to happen at fast speed. I didn't notice any other problems.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

Completed Myst (not ME/Windows/English)

ScummVM Version 1.9.0git6790-g254f931 64Bit
OS Version Windows 7 64Bit

I was able to complete the game with all four endings and was able to find all clues and solve all the puzzles.

Only minor bugs were encountered and they were reported to the bug tracker.
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hello Guys,

just completed The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel (DOS/English)

I noticed two minor problems, filed as issues #9596 and #9597.

Regards,
Vorph
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

I completed Conquests of the Longbow (DOS/English)
ScummVM Version: 1.10.0git159-g9e9617b (Oct 4 2016 17:00:37).

It is completable (did both good and bad endings, and most deaths and optional bits), with no noticeable regressions.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:I completed Conquests of the Longbow (DOS/English)

It is completable (did both good and bad endings, and most deaths and optional bits), with no noticeable regressions.
Thank you very much. Just added you to the release wiki.

btw. I guess you are able to read Japanese based on your location. In case you find some of the Japanese SCI games, it would be great if you could play through those in case you like doing so.

We added support for those games quite some time ago, but I don't know if the games actually do work properly in Japanese-mode (I think all of them are playable in English too). And I also have no idea if entering Japanese text works too. Police Quest 2 and Quest for Glory 1 have text parsers that at least in theory should accept Japanese too.

See this Sierra Japanese games wiki:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Japanese_Games
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

m_kiewitz wrote:
KuroShiro wrote:I completed Conquests of the Longbow (DOS/English)

Thank you very much. Just added you to the release wiki.

btw. I guess you are able to read Japanese based on your location. In case you find some of the Japanese SCI games, it would be great if you could play through those in case you like doing so.
I do read Japanese, but I only own the English versions of most SCI games. I can take a look around for some of the old PC-98 versions, but they're pretty hard to find.

Edit:
Also finished King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart go Yonder

No noticeable regressions, though there was one thing that I might be remembering wrong: on the screen where the cat shows up chasing the rat, I remember that never happening until you find the boot in the desert. However, in the current version of ScummVM it would generally happen the first time you entered that screen, meaning you had to avoid it to not get a dead end.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:I do read Japanese, but I only own the English versions of most SCI games. I can take a look around for some of the old PC-98 versions, but they're pretty hard to find.
I got lucky on suruga-ya.jp and yahoo auctions.
I got all of them from there.

Right now Mixed Up Mother Goose FM-Towns is available on yahoo auctions.

http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... v472198094
No bids yet, 1500 Yen, 1 day left.
Looks complete to me. You can copy the files directly over on a PC w/ CD drive. You won't need the floppy, but for collector purposes it's nice to have it too.

Suruga-ya has it too, for 1520 Yen. I would go for the auction first, because you see what you will get.
http://www.suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/127000410001

That definitely works with ScummVM (I own that one too) and it even has Japanese audio.
Also finished King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart go Yonder
Thanks, added.
No noticeable regressions, though there was one thing that I might be remembering wrong: on the screen where the cat shows up chasing the rat, I remember that never happening until you find the boot in the desert.
I think I read it somewhere that it indeed happens even when you don't have the shoe yet. Or maybe I remember it incorrectly and maybe it's just about not helping the mouse.

Will write that down somewhere, so that I will look into it when time allows.
Heleen

Post by Heleen »

I've played (the whole game) Myst masterpiece via Scummvm and it worked perfectly. I'm so happy that it is finally possible to play these games again after so many years. I play on windows 10, 64 bit and even in the place where the original game crashed, it worked perfect. Thanks!!!
Hope you will recreate the whole serie of Myst. Thank you in advance.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

Can https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/ be updated to reflect the tested games as of 1.9.0?

I believe the Myst and Sherlocks are excellent or at least good for support level.