Putt Putt and Pep's Balloon-O-Rama - first-time bug

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nowhere Girl

Putt Putt and Pep's Balloon-O-Rama - first-time bug

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I have completed the game before. I run it via Scumm VM + D-Fend Reloaded and I prefer it this way. A few weeks ago I downloaded the new version of Scumm VM and this is the first time I tried to replay the game since the download. And I can't play it. I et to the menu and whatever I press, some bug info in small green letters appears... I can type some things, but those that theoretically could help - "debug", "restart", "load" - don't help, some just cause the game to crash.
I would greatly dislike deleting the whole profile because of my screenshot mania (I really like collecting screenshots in D-Fend Reloaded) - what can I do to make the game run as it did before?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

How did you set it up the first time to run via ScummVM + D-Fend Reloaded?
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Profile ---> Add manually --> Add Scumm VM profile
Actually all profiles added this way don't work completely OK - when I just click them, the program says it can't find them and I have to "show them to the program" by clicking the location. But then it works.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Oh, and by the way: the message I get goes like this:
Console is ready
Debugger started, type 'exit' to return to the game. [actually it causes the game to crash]
Type 'help' to see a little list of commands and variables.
ERROR: (6:220:0xFD78): INIFile::loadFromStream: Key/value pair found outside a section in line 1!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Nowhere Girl wrote: ERROR: (6:220:0xFD78): INIFile::loadFromStream: Key/value pair found outside a section in line 1!
Sounds like the ScummVM configuration file (see the README file for information about where it should be on different operating systems) is damaged. I would guess that the first line is neither a section name (e.g. [scummvm]), a comment (e.g. # This is a comment) or an empty line.

I have no idea what could have caused this. Then again, I know absolutely nothing about D-Fend Reloaded.
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Tue May 03, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

OK, but what should I do about it?
EDIT: OK, I managed to solve the problem by deleting the extra (non-screenshot) files in the game's "Capture" folder - players.bal etc.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Btw - a question to those who know the game well: any advice on getting a lot of bonus levels? Sometimes the UFO that triggers bonus levels doesn't appear at all, sometimes - now this is nasty - right when Pep is popping the last balloon and can no longer go back up and hit the UFO... Is there any rule for when the UFO appears?
This is the real reason I'm replaying it. There was some bonus level with dulled rainbow-colored UFOs. I just pressed something wrong when playing it for the first time and no screenshot got captured. I haven't been able to return to this bonus level anymore. I don't know if I'm already past this bonus level trigger or not - probably not, I'm at the end of stage three ("Zoo 1"). My childish screenshot mania... and I love everything rainbow-colored, so I'm quite disappointed over this particular screenshot.