Scaling above 3x for a authentic, fullscreen experience

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Strange.

I just downloaded the latest development build for "MacOS X (Intel)" from buildbot and tested it on macOS Sierra, and also downloaded the "Windows (64 bits)" from buildbot as well as the "Win32 Daily Snapshot" provided by Kirben on our download page and tested those on Windows 10. For me the stretch mode with OpenGL works properly for all of those both when resizing manually the window or using fullscreen mode.

One thing to note is that the ScummVM launcher itself always uses the full window/screen without any stretch or scaling as it is always directly displayed at the window (or screen in fullscreen mode) resolution. So the stretch mode will have no impact on the launcher itself. Also if you see black bars in the launcher this means that they are added by your graphics card (see below).

By default in fullscreen mode ScummVM uses the desktop resolution. But you can change it using Ctrl+Alt+plus/minus. And the last resolution used is stored in the config file and is used again the next time you start ScummVM. One possibility is that you have in the past set ScummVM to use a lower resolution than your desktop screen resolution, possibly one that has a different aspect ratio than your screen and causes your graphic card to add black bars. If I use 1600x1200 resolution for example, my graphic card does add black bars on the side of my screen, and the resolution that ScummVM sees is 1600x1200 so all stretch mode, except the Center one, give me the same display for 320x200 games with aspect ratio on.

Another thing to check would be that you have not overridden the graphics settings for the game you are trying to play.

Finally note that you can use the Ctrl+Alt+S shortcut to cycle through the stretch modes and test changing those while playing a game.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Well, stretch modes works if i press Ctrl+Alt+S, but not if set them in game options. Maybe i need to make fresh install of ScummVM or something, i will try to sort it out.
PS - at least it works with key combo!
raina

Re: Scaling above 3x for a authentic, fullscreen experience

Post by raina »

Just returned to ScummVM and couldn't find agreeable display modes in the 2.0.0 release. Searching for "ScummVM pixel perfect" got me back to this old thread and I'm happy to report that with the new stretch mode options in the nightly builds I was able to achieve the best picture since leaving CRTs behind.

The Pixel-perfect scaling option is one (great) thing but with a little tweaking I essentially got my wish from 3 years ago. Still rocking the 1080p monitor, I created a custom resolution of 1280x1000 in my GPU driver control panel and made sure neither the GPU nor the monitor would scale it to 1920x1080 but center the image. Then I set the game (The Dig) to run in Normal graphics mode, fullscreen, NO aspect ratio correction and NO filter with the stretch mode set to Stretch to window and...

Gorgeous, uniform, sharp 4x5 pixels with the picture geometry (1280/1000 = 1.28) not that far off from a 4:3 monitor (1.333), making good use of the 1080p canvas. Now to just make a shortcut where a command line tool sets the custom resolution into effect for the runtime of the game to make the launching that much smoother.

If there's interest in more detailed info on the setup, I can post a followup with some pictures etc...
Cousin Sven

Post by Cousin Sven »

raina wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 amIf there's interest in more detailed info on the setup, I can post a followup with some pictures etc...
I would love to see some pictures of this.
raina

Post by raina »

Cousin Sven wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am I would love to see some pictures of this.
He-hey, just as I stopped checking back daily. ;)
Here we go. I had to re-create the 1920x1080 padding in the screenshots because obviously running the display in 1280x1000 that's all a screenshot will capture. But you can see that's what it looks while running in the photo. On a TV, on the couch with a wide armrest for the mouse. And this should be doable with pretty much any higher resolution displays and GPU makes too, me having personally tried nVidia and Intel chips for this sort of thing. Gorgeous, I say. You can get the full effect from these screenshots right away if you have a 1080p display and you open one of them in fullscreen.

Cousin Sven

Post by Cousin Sven »

That looks great -- I wouldn't have thought of using 1.28 scaling but the results are fantastic. Thank you for sharing!