Access a world of Amazons

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Access a world of Amazons

Post by Strangerke »

The year is 1957. You are Jason Roberts. You're preparing an expedition to help your missing brother in the land of Amazons and eventually look for a lost treasure.

The ScummVM Team is proud to announce that Amazon: Guardians of Eden is now
playable in ScummVM using the latest daily builds, and is ready for testing.

Please report any bugs as well as unknown versions you find in our bug tracker, following our bug submission guidelines.
Any screenshots of your playthrough are welcome.

You don't have this game but still want to help us? There's actually a way! We are missing screenshots for more than a dozen games! Take a look at the list of missing screenshots,
grab your originals and immortalize your favorite scenes!
Les

Post by Les »

Wow, I have the feeling, that Xmas are already here :D. Perfect job. ;) Just a currious question, by the chance, is the Coundown using the same game engine?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Les wrote:is the Coundown using the same game engine?
I don't know anything about this engine, but if I believe our wiki it does: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Access
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Just an FYI. A crash on the Floppy version revealed that it had different static data then the CD version, so I've been forced to create a new 'access.dat' file with the data for the Access games. This had the fringe benefit of reducing the large amount of existing static data for the games that was previously in the source.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Countdown is using the same engine, but in a very very early version of it. It may be worked on in a distant future, who knows when :)
angelus_04

Post by angelus_04 »

Won't be able to test this till GOG puts it on their site which is a shame I loved this game back in the day even though it is possible to get very far in the game then have to start all over cause you missed an item in an area and you can't backtrack. Oh well the only thing I can say about that is a cardinal rule with any game and that is save and save often.
Les

Post by Les »

Hm, is the SVGA mode implemented also? Somehow the magic keyboard combination mentioned in the manual, doesn't work for me in ScummVm but in the Dosbox it works. I have the CD version of the game. Thank you for your answer.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Les wrote:Hm, is the SVGA mode implemented also? Somehow the magic keyboard combination mentioned in the manual, doesn't work for me in ScummVm but in the Dosbox it works. I have the CD version of the game. Thank you for your answer.
No, the mode switch isn't implemented. It's been a while since I looked at the underlying graphics code for Amazon, but as far as I can remember, it should be automatically using the high-resolution (SVGA) resources where available.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Actually, what was the keypress that toggled between modes in the original? All my old game manuals are back home in Australia, so I can't exactly look it up.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

dreammaster wrote:Actually, what was the keypress that toggled between modes in the original? All my old game manuals are back home in Australia, so I can't exactly look it up.
It's Alt-V (only usable on normal screens, not during animated sequences)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Just to clarify, we use the VESA resources (TDROM sub-folder) for the CD version, but don't do the extra stuff present in VESA mode, with the side-by-side inventory and game screen and chapter summaries in the top. Quite frankly, I originally considered the VESA mode a bit weird. Who would honestly want half the game screen taken up by the inventory all the time. Kind of reminds me of Ultima 6, where gameplay took place in only part of the screen.
Les

Post by Les »

Dreammaster, in case that you have bigger monitor, it's interesting option :), the graphics in this game is a “little bit pixelated” ;), ( to say the true, it’s not the graphic gem :D ).
But it’s more nice/interesting option, not a showstopper to play the game. If it won’t be implemented, the Amazon will not die. :D

Thank you, for giving us the chance to play this game in ScummVM. I enjoy the game even after so many years.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Les wrote:Thank you, for giving us the chance to play this game in ScummVM. I enjoy the game even after so many years.
You're very welcome :D