Elementary, my dear Watson

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

User avatar
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:16 am
Location: San Jose, California, USA

Elementary, my dear Watson

Post by dreammaster »

Sherlock Holmes, greatest detective of all times, has a pair of puzzling cases to solve. Firstly, a gruesome murder outside a theater. Police are clueless. Could it be the work of the notorious killer, Jack the Ripper? Then, in his second case, his brother Mycroft is nearly killed in an explosion. In this case, you'll play initially as Watson, who tries to snap Sherlock out of his despair, and then as Sherlock, as he tries to piece together why Mycroft was attacked, and why he called for him just prior to the explosion.

The ScummVM Team is proud to announce support for both games of the The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes.. The Case of the Serrated Scalpel, and The Rose Tattoo. Many thanks go to Electronic Arts, for allowing us access to the original sources. Both games are now playable in ScummVM using the latest daily builds and ready for testing. For Serrated Scalpel, currently only the PC version is supported.. the 3DO version is mostly playable, but still needs further work. As usual, all bugs should be reported to our bug tracker following our bug submission guidelines. While you play through the game, we would also love it if you could take some screenshots for us.

So, have a play, and see if you're up to the challenge of stepping into the shoes of the great Sherlock Holmes. The game is afoot. Or in this case, games :)
Last edited by dreammaster on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat »

Congratulations, and thank you!

A GREAT addition to ScummVM:)

PS. Will you be adding a required datafiles listing for these games?
User avatar
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:16 am
Location: San Jose, California, USA

Post by dreammaster »

Longcat wrote:PS. Will you be adding a required datafiles listing for these games?
Thanks, and good question. I've never sat down to figure out the files needed for the different versions. I'll try and figure out a full list this evening, unless anyone else wants to take care of it.
User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat »

dreammaster wrote:
Longcat wrote:PS. Will you be adding a required datafiles listing for these games?
Thanks, and good question. I've never sat down to figure out the files needed for the different versions. I'll try and figure out a full list this evening, unless anyone else wants to take care of it.
Great! I would help, if I knew how. Thanks!
Rne_v_H
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:59 am
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:

Post by Rne_v_H »

WOOHOO.

Thanks team
karsten
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:59 am

Post by karsten »

Awesome, thank you!
User avatar
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:16 am
Location: San Jose, California, USA

Post by dreammaster »

I've now updated the Datafiles page.
User avatar
Freddo
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:41 pm

Post by Freddo »

Well done! :)

Very nice of EA to give you the source too.
User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat »

dreammaster wrote:I've now updated the Datafiles page.
Wonderful, thanks!
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

Great work dreammaster, well done! :)
Reckless
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:12 am

Post by Reckless »

Great work on extending the game count yet again!
albadross
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:55 pm

Post by albadross »

I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to the end of both the Sherlock games in the last few weeks (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Many thanks to dreammaster.

In the second game, I was highly delighted to win at darts first time - probably due to my hand/eye co-ordination skills developed over the years using the 3-click method of playing the Links 2003 golf game. I feared getting stuck there - but no!
User avatar
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:16 am
Location: San Jose, California, USA

Post by dreammaster »

albadross wrote:I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to the end of both the Sherlock games in the last few weeks (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Many thanks to dreammaster.

In the second game, I was highly delighted to win at darts first time - probably due to my hand/eye co-ordination skills developed over the years using the 3-click method of playing the Links 2003 golf game. I feared getting stuck there - but no!
You're very welcome, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy them. :D
scoriae
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:32 am

Post by scoriae »

I was going over the required data files this morning and realized it asks for many files I don't have in my copy (CD re-release).

For example, I do not have any of the following files:
sample.*
*.dig
*.mdi
*.vgs

This leads me to believe I have a different version. For the record, this is after installing the game and running the install file (in other words, I'm not just looking at the contents of the CD).

The game does start for me, but the behavior seems odd as opposed to playing it in dosbox. When I click one time at the intro screen in DosBox it skips from the city skyline to the cat knocking a bottle over in the alley (opening cut scene). However in scummvm it skips directly to the first moment of gameplay.

I allowed scummvm to just run through without clicking and it did play this scene, so maybe it's not a huge deal.

I suppose I need to play it more to see if my version doesn't work or works fine with these missing files.
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

scoriae wrote:I was going over the required data files this morning and realized it asks for many files I don't have in my copy (CD re-release).

For example, I do not have any of the following files:
sample.*
*.dig
*.mdi
*.vgs

This leads me to believe I have a different version. For the record, this is after installing the game and running the install file (in other words, I'm not just looking at the contents of the CD).

The game does start for me, but the behavior seems odd as opposed to playing it in dosbox. When I click one time at the intro screen in DosBox it skips from the city skyline to the cat knocking a bottle over in the alley (opening cut scene). However in scummvm it skips directly to the first moment of gameplay.

I allowed scummvm to just run through without clicking and it did play this scene, so maybe it's not a huge deal.

I suppose I need to play it more to see if my version doesn't work or works fine with these missing files.
The datafile list is for both games. If you are missing files, it must be files which are for the other game only.
Post Reply