MT-32 vs CM-32L

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

I gave this a try with my real MT-32 device. I get the chirping sound with ScummVM. I also get the chirping sound using MT-32 ROMs with ScummVM's Munt version without [md5]'s changes.

I suspect the guy recording the first video did not configure ScummVM properly for MT-32 output. If you use a MT-32 hardware unit, you have to check "True Roland MT-32 (disable GM emulation)" in the "MT-32" tab.
The built-in MT-32 emulator also works just fine by selecting it in the "Audio" tab under "Preferred Device". There is no need to check the checkbox in this case (it does not hurt, thus I suggest to check it anyway).

If you listen closely, in the first guy's video you can hear odd "bell" like sounds when the birds are supposed to be chirping. Additionally, some other instruments just sound different compared to the other video. That is usually clearly a sign of misconfiguration.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Update: I've added code to match CM-32L ROMs by their name as well
JohnnyW

Post by JohnnyW »

LordHoto wrote:I also get the chirping sound using MT-32 ROMs with ScummVM's Munt version without [md5]'s changes.
Yes you're absolutely right about that. Dang. I guess we need another indicator to test. Apparently Fate of Atlantis and DOTT were both optimized for CM-32Ls... but how to find a sound that's unique to them.
JohnnyW

Post by JohnnyW »

md5 wrote:Update: I've added code to match CM-32L ROMs by their name as well
Wonderful stuff!! Thanks for adding all of this, MD5.
xadox

Post by xadox »

Great news.
I am still not 100% sure what options have to be set you use proper MT-32 Emulation in DOTT eg.?
KainXVIII

Re: MT-32 vs CM-32L

Post by KainXVIII »

Too bad that CM-32L additional effects does not work in Beneath a Steel Sky or Lure of the Temptress (but this is known from compatibility page..) so you need to use external munt..
SirYodaJedi

Post by SirYodaJedi »

KainXVIII wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:17 pm Too bad that CM-32L additional effects does not work in Beneath a Steel Sky or Lure of the Temptress (but this is known from compatibility page..) so you need to use external munt..
Why would external Munt work better? 2.1.0 has the latest version of Munt (as of this post).
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

SirYodaJedi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:31 pm
KainXVIII wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:17 pm Too bad that CM-32L additional effects does not work in Beneath a Steel Sky or Lure of the Temptress (but this is known from compatibility page..) so you need to use external munt..
Why would external Munt work better? 2.1.0 has the latest version of Munt (as of this post).
Lol yeah, i guess i mean external munt AND dosbox :mrgreen:
JohnnyW

Post by JohnnyW »

That is a shame. One step at a time, I guess!