Enhanced Soundtrack in IHNMAIMS: How-To

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

KingLir

Post by KingLir »

Thanks!

Anyone can do the same for Flight of the Amazon Queen soundtrack from gog.com ? (free download)
Alpheon

Post by Alpheon »

Excellent! Glad to hear this problem was solved. I wasn't having any white noise at all, but I'm using Ogg.
KingLir wrote:Thanks!

Anyone can do the same for Flight of the Amazon Queen soundtrack from gog.com ? (free download)
I checked on this, and the game doesn't process audio the same way as IHNM. Besides that the MP3s distributed with the game on GOG appear to be a very simple, if somewhat bold, MIDI soundfont--you might be able to research what soundfont/soundcard that is, and emulate it that way.
KingLir

Post by KingLir »

Alpheon wrote:
KingLir wrote:Thanks!

I checked on this, and the game doesn't process audio the same way as IHNM. Besides that the MP3s distributed with the game on GOG appear to be a very simple, if somewhat bold, MIDI soundfont--you might be able to research what soundfont/soundcard that is, and emulate it that way.
Thanks!
oldgamesrock

Re: Enhanced Soundtrack in IHNMAIMS: How-To

Post by oldgamesrock »

Sorry for the necro bump, and thankyou to everyone who originally worked on this.... the results are amazing. The new soundtrack is incredible. If you put some decent headphones on and listen to the original mid then the soundtrack versions.... what a difference.

I just went through the original guide and in 2022 it's slightly different, also some of the tracks weren't correct in the original listing list on the first post. Not to discredit any works that were done, i spent a day on going through them all and a few were definitely not correct, and i'm pretty sure i've manged to match them all, so here's an updated list for everyone.

Step 1. Use Wavepad as linked in the first post. Split the 34 stingers track as per the first post. The thing here is, it doesn't work the same way it did in 2015. It doesn't split out all the tracks and leave the original file cut down as the first stinger. It doesn't touch the original file anymore , and it just spits out all the stingers. But to complicate things even more, if you split it at 3 seconds as per the original post, 2 of the tracks don't have 3 seconds silence between them and don't split properly . BUT... this doesn't matter, because they're unused, you need to do it this way for my file list to work. So, load the stinger file in Wavepad and YOU MUST split at 3 seconds exactly. You will end up with 33 files output (instead of 35, which is the actual number of stingers). So long as you get the same 33 files output, you're good. The files that contain 2 stingers in each because they didn't split properly are NOT USED at all, but it screws up the numbering from the original post, so you need to end up with the same results as me.
(to be double sure it's correct, after you split the files open the stinger output file number 8 and number 19 after you split in wavepad, they should both have 2 stingers in them if your split was the same result as mine.)

Step 2. Now you need to copy the file "IHNMAIMS OST - 23 Starting a Track.mp3" 5 times. You'll need 6 copies of this file in total, so make sure you have 6 copies of it to use. It's called on 6 times in the game, but each one needs it's own filename.

Step 3. Open the track titled "Campfire" and cut the silence from the start of the file, cut as close to the sound as you can without cutting into it. This is the music that plays when AM first starts talking in the intro... HATE...... if you don't cut this down, he'll start talking, and then there's a silence before the music starts to play and it's kinda weird. If you cut the silence out, the music starts when he starts talking and it sounds good.

Step 3. Use the chart below to rename your files. I've double triple checked these tracks against the play_music for all 40 tracks in the game using the debug menu in scummvm. This is the correct track list. ( so long as your stinger split wnded up with 33 files, and stinger track 8 and 19 got 2 stingers in each)

track01 = Credits
track02 = Introduction
track03 = Gorrister's Exploration
track04 = Gorrister's Redemption I
track05 = Gorrister's Fatal Flaw
track06 = Stingers 11
track07 = Stingers 26
track08 = Starting a Track
track09 = Benny's Exploration
track10 = Benny's Redemption
track11 = Benny's Fatal Flaw
track12 = Stingers 15
track13 = Stingers 7
track14 = Starting a Track
track15 = Ellen's Exploration
track16 = Ellen's Redemption II
track17 = Ellen's Fatal Flaw

track18 = Stingers 12
track19 = Stingers 13
track20 = Starting a Track
track21 = Nimdok's Exploration
track22 = Nimdok's Redemption
track23 = Nimdok's Fatal Flaw
track24 = Stingers 16
track25 = Stingers 27
track26 = Starting a Track
track27 = Ted's Exploration
track28 = Ted's Redemption V
track29 = Ted's Fatal Flaw
track30 = Stingers 9
track31 = Stingers 21
track32 = Starting a Track
track33 = Campfire Menu [NOTE: Cut some silence from beginning]
track34 = Blob
track35 = Win
track36 = Torture Area
track37 = Starting a Track
track38 = Losing a Track
track39 = Winning a Track II
track40 = Neutral on a Track

So after you have all of those files, rename all the files like this

track01 = Credits > track01.mp3
track02 = Introduction > track02.mp3
track03 = Gorrister's Exploration > track03.mp3
and so on

You should have 40 files names track01.mp3 to track40.mp3
Then copy those into the root of your game folder. Not into a sub folder, just dump them in the root with all the other files.

If you want to confirm anything yourself, go into the game, turn the sound off, but leave music loud press CTRL+ALT+D and it'll bring up the debug menu. Then type play_music 00 and esc to close debug, now the game will play the music track you just selected. (we turn the sound effects and voice off to make it easier to hear the music track). If you try to play a number over 39, it will crash scummvm. If you let it sit on the debug menu for a while or play a lot of musics after each other, it will stop working. You need to restart scummvm.
Just to make this task even more complicated.... the game internally starts from 00 and goes to 39 in the debug menu play music.
These link to the physical files like this

play_music 00 = track01.mp3
play_music 01 = track02.mp3
play_music 02 = track03.mp3
play_music 03 = track04.mp3
play_music 04 - track05.mp3

You get the idea. It's a bit complicated, but, if you split the stingers correctly(getting the same split result as me) and use my file list, it's all correct. See the picture below for what you should end up with.

What a difference it makes in this game!
Here's a screenshot for reference for you, this is what you should end up with. You can see a pattern here to the order the music files are numbered.
Each character has the following 5 tracks in order
- Exploration Track
- Redemption Track
- Fatal Flaw Track
- Stinger
- Stinger
ihnm music.png
ihnm music.png (79.29 KiB) Viewed 792 times

Also if you have issues with crazy loud sounds in game, try setting music and sound to 40%. The sound seems to scale a little weird in this game, 40% for both is a good balance i think.

It would be so much easier if i could just make this available for you to download already done, but I can't because it's not free. If you need the soundtrack, you get it when you buy the game on GOG. Here's the link. Wait for it to be on sale, it's around $2 at the time of making this.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/i_have_no_m ... ust_scream

I'll make a youtube guide sometime soon, just for reference and then post the link here.

This is not meant in any way to discredit the original poster, some of these stingers were really tricky to match as they sound so different to their midi representations, and by using the original posted list, it made identifying the correct tracks much easier. 1 day probably would have taken me 1 week without the original list.

Enjoy!