Scumm Snail cursor

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sanguinehearts

Scumm Snail cursor

Post by sanguinehearts »

I'm conducting an investigation in to the pause/wait cursor graphics used in the early Scumm games.

For no other reason other than my odd interest in the Scumm engine, I've recently been feeling nostalgic for the old Snail cursor. David Fox referred to him as 'Slimey'

https://twitter.com/DavidBFox/status/402896611539316736]

I don't think he's too fond of him!

So far I've found two variants of the cursor. The standard white snail used in the C64/V1 Dos/V2 Dos Maniac Mansion and Zak.

It appears as though the Amiga version uses a slightly jazzier variant.

The Amiga version is drawn via code rather than read from data, oddly the Amiga binary also contains an un-referenced block of data that is almost identical to the C64 white snail.

The Loom/ Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade manuals also make reference to the snail cursor 'When the disk is being accessed or the game is paused, the cursor may change or disappear. On some computers, a picture of a snail replaces the cursor during these times'

I'm not sure it was ever used in those games though, can anybody clarify that from memory?

Is anyone aware of the cursor being used in other Scumm games/platform variants?
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Turns out it's also in the Atari ST versions of MM and Zak, it's a slightly different variation again.