Debugging/logging music through console

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Alpheon

Debugging/logging music through console

Post by Alpheon »

I'm working on a personal soundtrack project and part of it includes mapping where each digital music resource actually plays in the game Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo. No iMUSE, no MIDIs, just lo-fi digital audio. What's the most efficient way to do this? I used Supper's HEErip tool to dump the audio files, but still, among those are some that never actually play in the game.

Rather than just sit in one area and actually listen as the game randomly chooses the next track from the "pool" for that room, is there some way to see what the pool is via the console, or some command I can use to "skip to next track" rapidly, or something?

(Also, how come the HE startup sound--the drumroll plus sped-up "yee-hoo"--doesn't play in ScummVM? Is that just me?)

Thanks!
Kirben

Re: Debugging/logging music through console

Post by Kirben »

There are currently no debug commands to play music directly in HE Games that use digital music. It might be possible by changing variables via debugger, but you would need to dump and examine the scripts been used to select music tracks.

The HE startup sound is only played in certain versions of games, specially only in the later version (HE98.5) of Putt-Putt Save the Zoo.
Alpheon

Re: Debugging/logging music through console

Post by Alpheon »

Kirben wrote:There are currently no debug commands to play music directly in HE Games that use digital music. It might be possible by changing variables via debugger, but you would need to dump and examine the scripts been used to select music tracks.

The HE startup sound is only played in certain versions of games, specially only in the later version (HE98.5) of Putt-Putt Save the Zoo.
Ah, I see. Thanks much! How would one dump the scripts used for music selection?