GOG will add Disney / LucasArts games in less than 2 days!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

shmerl

GOG will add Disney / LucasArts games in less than 2 days!

Post by shmerl »

See the countdown on their front page: https://www.gog.com

There were several hints that it's indeed LucasArts. Here are a few:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gog-ce ... 0-6422150/
A: I have a pretty substantial deal in my inbox right now, which I need to finalize. It's going to be a deal for classic games on GOG with a major publisher, and that publisher has many games which are at the very top or in the middle of GOG's wish list. So if we sign that one, we will fulfill many wishes in the coming months.

Q: I'm guessing you're not going to give any teases about who that might be…

A: I cannot tell you who that's gonna be, but I can tell you something else. We have more or less three major publishers missing when it comes to classic games. There is Microsoft, there is Disney, and finally, there is Take-Two. It's one of these [laughs].
See most requested games here: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#order=votes_total

And they also hinted it in the countdown with using fonts from Monkey Island and some other games.

For example 10 in the minutes position:

Compare it to:

So this means that hopefully lot's of classic LucasArts adventures are coming out DRM-free soon. May be even normal versions of Loom (not the broken Steam one) will be released! It's going to be major ScummVM time!-)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

34 minutes was in the Indiana Jones font.
shmerl

Post by shmerl »

Yep:

There was also a font from Star Wars for 21:

Last edited by shmerl on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
OzzieMonkey

Post by OzzieMonkey »

This really has been a long time coming. When I first came across GOG (or as it was known then, Good Old Games), the first games I looked for were LucasArts' properties. How happy I feel now, knowing that search will actually produce results.
shmerl

Post by shmerl »

OzzieMonkey wrote:This really has been a long time coming. When I first came across GOG (or as it was known then, Good Old Games), the first games I looked for were LucasArts' properties. How happy I feel now, knowing that search will actually produce results.
I think GOG almost got that deal in 2012, but Disney bought LucasArts right in the middle of it (and as well closed down the whole studio), and it wasn't moving anywhere for another two years.
OzzieMonkey

Post by OzzieMonkey »

shmerl wrote: I think GOG almost got that deal in 2012, but Disney bought LucasArts right in the middle of it (and as well closed down the whole studio), and it wasn't moving anywhere for another two years.
Yeah, I heard about that. I actually followed that whole thing for a while and then nothing happened, I assumed Disney. They're really starting to redeem themselves in my eyes. On another note, this marks my second ever post on the ScummVM forums....hello! :D
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

FINALLYYYY
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Awesome, it started to get pretty hard purchasing the classics
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

I just bought Sam & Max Hit the Road. It's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux and actually uses ScummVM. :) It's great to see the LucasArts games being bundled with it. :mrgreen:
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

I think it's a good time to congratulate the ScummVM team on their yearlong efforts. Now with official LucasArts-releases using ScummVM, you've made yourselves immortal... well, more immortal... immoretal... you know what I mean.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

Wow. Never thought I'd see the day when a Lucas* game would be officially distributed with Scummvm. Does anyone know if the GOG version of Indiana FOA uses Scummvm too?
I'm currently unemployed and have no spending $$ to find out for myself.

** And to anyone who isn't unemployed (like me), thank the team by using the GOG affiliate link at the top of the page if you plan to buy some DRM free classics!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

lazylazyjoe wrote:Does anyone know if the GOG version of Indiana FOA uses Scummvm too?
Judging by this thread on the GOG forum, it uses ScummVM.