The Feeble Files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

UruBoo

Post by UruBoo »

Kirben wrote:You need to re-encode the Smacker files included with the Feeble Files, using encode_dxa. There is a short guide in the readme included with tools.

encode_dxa is included with the Windows snapshots of ScummVM SVN. If you are on other platform, you will need to check out the tools module of SVN and compile encode_dxa yourself.
Thanks for the answer but I think you did not quite undesrtood me: since I don't know how to deal with compiling, decoding, re-encoding or whatever you guys call those things, I just want to know if there is a way to play Feeble Files just launching SCUMM, add the game to the menu and it will just run, plain and simple, like a normal game, without having to mess around with anything!

Thanks

UruBoo
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

UruBoo wrote:
Thanks for the answer but I think you did not quite undesrtood me: since I don't know how to deal with compiling, decoding, re-encoding or whatever you guys call those things, I just want to know if there is a way to play Feeble Files just launching SCUMM, add the game to the menu and it will just run, plain and simple, like a normal game, without having to mess around with anything!
Nope. The game is copyrighted, we can't distribute reencoded game movies. You HAVE to do it yourself.

And I understand that you don't know how to do it, but that's a situation that can very easily be remedied by looking at the README file :). (Edit: This isn't stuff you need a programming degree to do... anyone can do it)
UruBoo

Post by UruBoo »

Thanks for the quick reply, Vinterstum.

Ok, so I have to deal with it (the Techy stuff). The problem is that I tried to follow the README file with no luck. It kept saying that I need to use a RAD tool to extract the .smk file to another kind of file. And how do I do that? I think the information on that README file is of no much help...

Thnaks for listening me up!

UruBoo
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

UruBoo wrote:Thanks for the quick reply, Vinterstum.

Ok, so I have to deal with it (the Techy stuff). The problem is that I tried to follow the README file with no luck. It kept saying that I need to use a RAD tool to extract the .smk file to another kind of file. And how do I do that? I think the information on that README file is of no much help...

Thnaks for listening me up!

UruBoo
A quick Google for 'RAD game tools' gives this as the top link:

http://www.radgametools.com/
UruBoo

Post by UruBoo »

Hi Vinterstum!

If I understood correctly, do I need to convert ALL the .smk files to the Feeble Files folder in my computer as AVI files, then use the "encode-dxa" program from SCUMM SVN to convert those files to .dxa? One by one? Or there is a better way?

UruBoo
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

UruBoo wrote:Hi Vinterstum!

If I understood correctly, do I need to convert ALL the .smk files to the Feeble Files folder in my computer as AVI files, then use the "encode-dxa" program from SCUMM SVN to convert those files to .dxa? One by one? Or there is a better way?

UruBoo
You actually convert them to a series of PNG images, from what I understand (I haven't actually done this myself), and then you run encode_dxa.

The README file in the tools module explains it pretty well though :). And it mentions that you can do batch processing as well, so presumably you can convert all the files at once (at least the part you do in RAD).
UruBoo

Post by UruBoo »

Ok, Vinterstum, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Have to sleep now...

Thanks for the help!

UruBoo
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hello Guys

I noticed that you recently added support for MP3/ogg/FLAC compressed audio in the encode_dxa tool. Are "those" files already supported by the Engine ?

I replaced the "regular" WINASOFT.DXA with an ogg compressed version of the File and got no sound at all. (in the video sequence of course)

The current SVN Build (5.6.2006) was used for testing.

Keep up the good work

Vorph
clem

Post by clem »

Vorph wrote:I replaced the "regular" WINASOFT.DXA with an ogg compressed version of the File and got no sound at all. (in the video sequence of course)
from tools-README:

5. You will get an intro.dxa file and intro.flac/mp3/ogg file in result.

so the DXA file only contains video, maybe make sure the accordingly named ogg file is there as well? I don't know if playing other formats is supported offhand, but I think adding this is so trivial that they wouldn't just go for .mp3

clem
Vorph

Post by Vorph »

Hello...

ooops - a definite case of RTFM...

Thanks for the fast reply. I think I got lost in my work directory :oops:

Vorph
Conroy Bumpus

Post by Conroy Bumpus »

Does anyone know where I can get Feeble Files it says is still avaliable and I haven't seen it either online or in the shops.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Conroy Bumpus wrote:Does anyone know where I can get Feeble Files it says is still avaliable and I haven't seen it either online or in the shops.
The Feebles Files can still be bought from the online store at Adventure Soft.
Track505

Post by Track505 »

sev wrote:
noize wrote:Found one bug in the encoder, tell me if I need to report this.
When encoding "Get Car", lame fails with: excess arg Get.
Input for lame by encode_dxa seems to be Get Car instead of "Get Car".
Yes, please. This is important, especially before 0.9.0.

Eugene
You can rename this to blablabla.smk and convert.
Rename it back as normal GET CAR.dxa and/or GET CAR.ogg and OK. Hope this helps.
crowley

Post by crowley »

Hi!

Here is a little bash-script I wrote to convert the video files under linux. Copy the code to a file, e.g. smk2dxa.sh, copy all SMK file into one folder, install the RAD-Video-Tools via Wine, change the values in the script to your needing, run it with "sh smk2dxa.sh" and wait a loong time ;)

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash

WINE=wine
VIDEO_PATH=~/games/Feeble/video
BINK=~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/RADVideo/binkconv.exe
ENCODE_DXA=~/scummvm/tools/encode_dxa
FORMAT=flac

cd "$VIDEO_PATH"

for i in *.SMK;do
        in=`basename "$i" .SMK`;
        mv "$i" "$in.smk";
done

for i in *.smk; do
        in=`basename "$i" .smk`;
        if [ ! -f "$in.dxa" ]; then
                $WINE "$BINK" "$i" "$in.png" /n-1 /z1 /#;
                $WINE "$BINK" "$i" "$in.wav" /v /#;
                $ENCODE_DXA --$FORMAT "$in";
                rm *.png *.wav;
        fi
done
The script works fine for me, hope for others too.

Regards
Sebastian

edit: Updated script. Forgot the "/#" flag, so you don't have to press the done button again and again.
Last edited by crowley on Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JKing

Post by JKing »

By the by, is there a way to get around the Smacker decoder's wanting you to press the "Done" button after each conversion?