The Feeble Files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Sordid

Post by Sordid »

could somebody please send me the compiled encode_dxa file?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Sordid wrote:could somebody please send me the compiled encode_dxa file?
For what operating system do you require encode_dxa compiled for?

If you are using Windows, it is included in the daily snapshot of ScummVM.
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

Hm....I want to use this file to encode the videos from Feeble Files...got the batch file and the cpp but didn't manage to compile it. (for Windows). Or did I get something wrong?
clem

Post by clem »

Sordid wrote:Or did I get something wrong?
He meant you should get the daily SVN snapshot .exe file for windows from the ScummVM downloads page. If you install it, you have a tools\ subdirectory in your ScummVM directory which should contain all the tools (including encode_dxa)

clem
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

clem wrote:
Sordid wrote:Or did I get something wrong?
He meant you should get the daily SVN snapshot .exe file for windows from the ScummVM downloads page. If you install it, you have a tools\ subdirectory in your ScummVM directory which should contain all the tools (including encode_dxa)

clem
Understood. Thanks ;)
gliss

Post by gliss »

Does still nobody have an idea how I could solve the problem with voices.wav? :?
Sordid

Post by Sordid »

I managed to convert the videos. Where do I have to put them?
noize

Post by noize »

I saw ZMBV compression was added to encode_dxa.
Is it ready for use in ScummVM, and is included in the daily snapshot?

Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Sordid wrote:I managed to convert the videos. Where do I have to put them?
I keep mine in a folder called movies inside the folder where I keep the rest of the Feeble Files data files. That's not the only option, but it seemed natural to me.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

noize wrote:I saw ZMBV compression was added to encode_dxa.
Is it ready for use in ScummVM, and is included in the daily snapshot?
No. It was added for testing purposes and appeared to be less efficient than pure DXA. I.e. compressed files are bigger. No decoder was implemented for this format and we have no plans to do it.

Eugene
noize

Post by noize »

Cool. Maybe it's a good idea to use dxa for the sword engines as well.
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

When are you going to support the AD PCM Audio, which compresses the audio in the dxa files?
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
john_doe wrote:Or do you mean if it can compress the speech, too? That it can't do :)
The development version of the compress_simon tool can compress the voices.wav files for The Feeble Files though.
I tryd to compress it, but the help with the syntax is very hard. Can anybode wrote here a Sample how to convert the speech files to ogg vorbis?

What i have to set, there are so many parameters, and i am german, its really hard to understand
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

FeebleFiles1 wrote: I tryd to compress it, but the help with the syntax is very hard. Can anybode wrote here a Sample how to convert the speech files to ogg vorbis?

What i have to set, there are so many parameters, and i am german, its really hard to understand
I used, quite simply

Code: Select all

compress_simon --vorbis voices1.wav
compress_simon --vorbis voices2.wav
Sure, there are a lot of parameters you could use other than that, but only if you're not satisfied with the defaults oggenc provides. (The compression tools work by invoking lame (for MP3), oggenc (for Ogg Vorbis), or flac (for FLAC) repeatedly, but as long as at least one of them are installed where the tool can find it, it should be ok.)
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

when are you going to add adpcm support?
eriktorbjorn wrote:
FeebleFiles1 wrote: I tryd to compress it, but the help with the syntax is very hard. Can anybode wrote here a Sample how to convert the speech files to ogg vorbis?

I used, quite simply

Code: Select all

compress_simon --vorbis voices1.wav
compress_simon --vorbis voices2.wav
Sure, there are a lot of parameters you could use other than that, but only if you're not satisfied with the defaults oggenc provides. (The compression tools work by invoking lame (for MP3), oggenc (for Ogg Vorbis), or flac (for FLAC) repeatedly, but as long as at least one of them are installed where the tool can find it, it should be ok.)