The Feeble Files

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

i have only one more wish. is it possible to make here an answer with all the scripts you can use to optimize the encoding of the dxa videos?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:i have only one more wish. is it possible to make here an answer with all the scripts you can use to optimize the encoding of the dxa videos?
They're same. Only encode_dxa was updated in SVN. Use it and you will get better compressed videos.

Eugene
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

ok thank you for your answer i made a comparision of the old and the new method of the dxa files
the old method gives me 1,45 Gb

the method 1,05 Gb

thats really great
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

i have again an question to the new dxa encoder, could it be possible to make the compression better? i mean is it possible to make the files again smaller, or do you use the maximum of compression?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

FeebleFiles1 wrote:i have again an question to the new dxa encoder, could it be possible to make the compression better? i mean is it possible to make the files again smaller, or do you use the maximum of compression?
The DXA encode tries a couple of different methods for compressing each frame, runs the result through zlib's general-purpose compression, and picks the one that produces the smallest amount of data.

In other words, there is no way that adding further types of compressions would ever yield a larger file. Whether or not the difference would be worthwhile... that, I do not know.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

There are some improvements I have in mind but I've yet to add/test them. Especially the compression of interlaced/double-height videos could be improved.
PhiloHippus

Post by PhiloHippus »

I have a problem here that I hope you guys can help me with. I've recompressed the smk files to dxa without any issues, as instructed in the SVM 9.0 readme. The problem is that when playing the game the cutscenes play without sound. The sound was encoded into MP3 with lame 3.96.1, same encoder I used for the voices.wav files, and those play back fine. I have checked that the individual mp3 files used to make the dxa files are ok. What could be wrong?

EDIT: Ok nevermind, my mistake. I assumed that the mp3 files outputted via encode_dxa were only transitional files embedded into the dxa files, so I did not copy them to the game folder. I just tried doing that and the sound came back fine. Cheers.
Royal Biscuit

Post by Royal Biscuit »

Hi I was trying to get the feeble files up and running on the latest ScummVM. I have a 2CD PC version, but it dosn't have all the files on the CD that are mentioned in the data files list. I think its quite a new 'budget' rerelease that is XP compatible (ok so I could probably install it without ScummVM on my PC, but I wanted to play it on my PSP). I am missing the files:

GAME22
save.999
TABLES*
TBLLIST

Does anyone else have this problem?
clem

Post by clem »

Royal Biscuit wrote:it dosn't have all the files on the CD that are mentioned in the data files list
afaik some files are extracted by the installation program if you run the original installer - then you should have all the files to run the game in ScummVM
Royal Biscuit

Post by Royal Biscuit »

Hey thanks. Got the files but now ScummVM gives me:

ERROR: Failed to load video file winasoft.dxa or winaso~1.dax
clem

Post by clem »

Royal Biscuit wrote: ERROR: Failed to load video file winasoft.dxa or winaso~1.dxa
yeah, because video files are needed for the game
the original .smk files can't be used due to copyright issues, you will have to manually convert the .smk movies to .dxa - the forum has posts about that, the README should also give info

clem
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

Hello,

can someone explain me the Structur of an VGA File used in the feeble files? some files are really big and some are only very small, how is that in the game working? the sourcecode is very hard to read.

Which vga file is the game start file?

Can someone of the developers please explain me that a little bit better?

I mean the sourcecode is not so good Commented and there inst any developing help content, i mean an help file which explain how scummvm is working, that could be really useful

Regards and Thank u in advance

Sebastian
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Could you be more specific on what exactly you want to know from the ScummVM source code?

Basically:
xxx1.vga stores the video script. (see runVgaScript).
xxx2.vga stores the images. (see vc10_draw)
xxx3.vga stores the sounds. (see loadSound)

The initial game data is read from the gamexx file.
FeebleFiles1

Post by FeebleFiles1 »

Thank you, and how is the Internal game in use? i mean is there a script which controlls the game and uses internal variables, such as the things which are in the oracle or the Sentences which were used when you ask something? in which file are this informations for gameconrtroll
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The game engine uses scripts and variables, with tables scripts and video scripts. The table scripts use a sentence system, to check which script segments to execute.

See runScript() and it's opcodes for more detail on the tables scripting code.

The tables scripts are stored in the TABLESxx files, and TBLLIST provides an index of the script numbers for each TABLESXX file. See the loadTable* and readSubrounte* functions in subrountine.cpp for more details.