Humongous Entertainment games in a Humble Flash Bundle

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Humongous Entertainment games in a Humble Flash Bundle

Post by Buddha »

Hi,
Humongous Entertainment games (Putt-Putt, Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam and Spy Fox) are in a Humble Flash Bundle for the next 24 hours or so:

https://www.humblebundle.com/flash
raina

Post by raina »

I wonder what the engine(s) used here are. And a bit unusual seeing the platform coverage; DRM-free on Windows only but it, OS X and GNU/Linux are supported through Steam. Interesting times.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

They use ScummVM 1.6.0. Sources are installed along with the game. They use vanilla build without any additions.

Eugene
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Frankly, I for one would have likely if the Humble Flash Bundle page mentioned ScummVM and its GPLv2-ness.

Also, it really would have been awesome it if was a "Support charity and FLOSS" kind of deal. With Night Dive Studios and (ScummVM + DOSBox + SDL + ffmpeg) (*) an even default split of the payouts.

(*) Since we do depend on DOSBox's AdLib emu, ffmpeg code for video decoding and SDL

Note that I am of course only speaking for myself here, not for the rest of the team.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

It's a pity that it doesn't seem to include the extras from the original releases. I don't know much about them - I'm not really the target audience for them - but my copies of Spy Fox 3 and Freddi Fish 5 included some bonus audio tracks on the CDs, and Pajama Sam 2 included a short printed Pajama Man comic leading into the TV episode Sam is watching at the beginning of the game.

I was curious to see if any of the other games had similar bonuses, but considering the price I can't really complain.
pezhead53

Post by pezhead53 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:It's a pity that it doesn't seem to include the extras from the original releases. I don't know much about them - I'm not really the target audience for them - but my copies of Spy Fox 3 and Freddi Fish 5 included some bonus audio tracks on the CDs, and Pajama Sam 2 included a short printed Pajama Man comic leading into the TV episode Sam is watching at the beginning of the game.

I was curious to see if any of the other games had similar bonuses, but considering the price I can't really complain.
The comic books that came with Pajama Sam 2 and 3 are available as extras with the Steam versions of the games. I don't think they came with the Humble versions though.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

pezhead53 wrote:
eriktorbjorn wrote:It's a pity that it doesn't seem to include the extras from the original releases. I don't know much about them - I'm not really the target audience for them - but my copies of Spy Fox 3 and Freddi Fish 5 included some bonus audio tracks on the CDs, and Pajama Sam 2 included a short printed Pajama Man comic leading into the TV episode Sam is watching at the beginning of the game.

The comic books that came with Pajama Sam 2 and 3 are available as extras with the Steam versions of the games. I don't think they came with the Humble versions though.
The Humble versions came with Steam keys, so I'd imagine you'd still get the Steam extras.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

pezhead53 wrote: The comic books that came with Pajama Sam 2 and 3 are available as extras with the Steam versions of the games. I don't think they came with the Humble versions though.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I ever get a Steam account. (Hmmm... That came out sounding more sarcastic than I intended. I just meant that I'm still undecided.)
Timiditas

Post by Timiditas »

Too bad that Humongous has neglected to include all available languages that these games were released in, back in the time. E.g.: Pajama Sam 3 is missing Russian and German voiceovers. You can imagine how disappointed my daughter was when we found this out, after she finished the first two Pajama Sam games.
I even wrote to Humongous, and got a nice boilerplate reply:
Thank you for contacting. Unfortunately, we haven't announced plans to add German for Pajama Sam 3, but please be sure to check www.humongous.com for all the latest news and updates, as we are continuing to expand and promote our current line of Humongous Entertainment titles. Thanks again for contacting us, and your support of Humongous Entertainment!

Best Regards,

Humongous Customer Support
Way to go guys.
Hell *I* cannot complain, looking at the price. But I can't understand why they left out *available* languages of several of their games. And my kid can't understand this at all. In more than one way.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The reasoning is simple. In vast majority of cases the translation work was performed by some 3rd party, so legal work is required.

Eugene
Timiditas

Post by Timiditas »

Oh that sounds accountable, thanks for clarifying.
~Maybe its a good time to get her to start learning English :)
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Trust me, it isn't legal issues.

EDIT: I think I should make note of this though, Russian Pajama Sam 2 can't be added to Steam because Scummvm doesn't support it!
Timiditas

Post by Timiditas »

well whaddayaknow, pajama sam 3(!) in russian language is detected and works. strange all this versioning legal checksum filetype mumbo jumbo gradually makes me weary. sorry for no capitalisation. brain already asleep