The Neverhood comes to ScummVM!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

The Neverhood comes to ScummVM!

Post by md5 »

The Neverhood needs you! Klaymen, our hero, wakes up in a building in the strangely empty world of Neverhood.
It's up to you to explore and find out what happened to Neverhood's wacky clay world.

The ScummVM Team is proud to announce that The Neverhood is now playable in ScummVM using the latest daily builds, and ready for testing. As usual, all bugs should be reported to our bug tracker following our bug submission guidelines. While you play through the game, we would also love it if you could take some screenshots for us.
gsm
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 am

Post by gsm »

Awesome news! :D

Is there a list of the data files needed for The Neverhood?
albadross
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:55 pm

Post by albadross »

I get mine to run fine so far with just the *.BLB files. HTH

Edit : namely, files A, C, HD, I, M, S and T followed by .BLB
albadross
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:55 pm

Post by albadross »

I do not know if the team has got a PC demo for The Neverhood but I came across one while I was deciding earlier this year whether to invest in the Armikrog Kickstarter project by the same team. It is not in the list of demos available yet but this may be the usual delay - otherwise, maybe I can help.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

albadross wrote:I do not know if the team has got a PC demo for The Neverhood but I came across one while I was deciding earlier this year whether to invest in the Armikrog Kickstarter project by the same team. It is not in the list of demos available yet but this may be the usual delay - otherwise, maybe I can help.
Thanks for this. The Neverhood demo should now be visible in the demos page. Is this the same demo as the one you've got?
User avatar
Raziel
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:27 am
Location: a dying planet

Post by Raziel »

Wow, that fast???

Awesome, thanks to the team
tfishell
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Re: The Neverhood comes to ScummVM!

Post by tfishell »

md5 wrote:The Neverhood needs you! Klaymen, our hero, wakes up in a building in the strangely empty world of Neverhood.
It's up to you to explore and find out what happened to Neverhood's wacky clay world.

The ScummVM Team is proud to announce that The Neverhood is now playable in ScummVM using the latest daily builds, and ready for testing. As usual, all bugs should be reported to our bug tracker following our bug submission guidelines. While you play through the game, we would also love it if you could take some screenshots for us.
This is SO COOL! I'm especially excited because, as a GOG.com fan, this is strong evidence the game could be appearing within the coming months. I assume legally the game is in a similar situation to Clive Barker's Undying - developed by DreamWorks Interactive and published by EA - and that compatibility was holding it back from a GOG release. If any bugs can be smoothed out within the next few months, between Pegasus Prime and The Neverhood, 2014 will start out good for GOG and ScummVM.

(I hope you guys are getting paid well for this. ;)
Onkel Hotte
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01 pm

Post by Onkel Hotte »

Awesome!
I'm curious, though: Is it a reimplementation or does it use some form of scripting? The wiki page mentions some bugs common between scummvm and the original, but many people used to assume that everything is hardcoded in the executable.
User avatar
john_doe
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Post by john_doe »

The whole game is plain C++ without any scripting etc.
scoriae
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:32 am

Post by scoriae »

wow, this is one of the highest profile adventure games that was missing from the project.

With that, I think my original wishlist for ScummVM support comes to a close (apart from some progress on the later SCI games).

Bravo.
User avatar
Adorably Rotten
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:53 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Post by Adorably Rotten »

I'd just like to thank the ScummVM team so much for adding support for The Neverhood! It's one of my favorite games of all time, and for years I've had difficulty getting it to run on my modern computers. Now I can be glad that no matter how many new computers I get, I'll always be able to play The Neverhood with no issues at all!

Plus, with the recent success of the Armikrog Kickstarter, we'll probably be seeing lots of retroactive interest for The Neverhood in the near future, so new fans will be able to play and enjoy the game easily! Thank you so much, again!
Jon God
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:13 pm

Post by Jon God »

Thank you so much, this was the last Adventure game I'd been waiting years to play, you guys are seriously the best!
shmerl
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 am

Post by shmerl »

I just tried to run Neverhood through the daily build of ScummVM for Debian (on Debian testing).

Just for the reference, that build required libpng15.so.15 which is not present in Debian so I had to build libpng15 from source first (why is the build marked Debian then?).

ScummVM launched and recognized Neverhood directory, so I was able to add the game. However when launching it, I got the following:

Code: Select all

User picked target 'neverhood-win' (gameid 'neverhood')...                                                                                                            
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Neverhood Engine
  Starting 'The Neverhood Chronicles'
StaticData::load() Could not open neverhood.dat!
Any idea what neverhood.dat is? I don't have such file in my game files.
shmerl
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 am

Post by shmerl »

I figured, that's a plugin related data and it's not present in the daily build. neverhood.dat file can be found in the source of the master branch: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... erhood.dat

Neverhood runs now! Thanks for this great addition to ScummVM.
User avatar
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Germany

Post by LordHoto »

shmerl wrote:I figured, that's a plugin related data and it's not present in the daily build. neverhood.dat file can be found in the source of the master branch: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... erhood.dat

Neverhood runs now! Thanks for this great addition to ScummVM.
The correct version of these data files should always be distributed along with ScummVM. This can sometimes be in invisible ways. For example, on Mac OS X they are embedded into the ScummVM.app "file" (or rather directory). On Windows it is embedded into the executables itself. For Linux distributions it should be installed in a location in /usr/share or /usr/local/share or similar which is scanned by default. For daily builds it should really be just bundled in the archive and you'll need to point the extrapath at the place where you extracted those. So, if ScummVM does not find the file by default, something with your ScummVM build is fishy.
Post Reply