Need help to make Scumm Version from original games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ptitdave

Need help to make Scumm Version from original games

Post by Ptitdave »

Hello,

My name is David, i'm 35 years old, I'm french and I would like to know someting about scummVM

I have many orignals games on PC like Destruction Derby, Spycraft (4 CDs), F16 combat Pilot, Down int he dump (4 CDs), broken sword 1 (fully french, i found it only english and french subtiles on the internet), Fort boyard, les guignols de l'info, Syndicate wars, Microcosm...

So, my request is : I would like to make scummVM versions from the original games ?

Somebody can help me ?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi Ptitdave

Thanks for your interest!

In the list of titles you posted, Broken Sword 1 is already supported, Les guignols de l'info are using (IIRC) Adobe Director (if so, forget it). For the other titles, only Down In The Dump is an adventure game, so all the others are out of scope.

At this point, the easiest would certainly be that you come on our IRC channel and have a chat with us

See you there!
Ptitdave

Post by Ptitdave »

Thanks for your quickly answer Strangerke

How can I come on this IRC Channel, i must download what ?

Thanks
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

To make a game compatible with ScummVM is an immense amount of work, and will require you to spend many hours reverse-engineer the game and do a lot of C++ programming.

I may be out of line when I say this, but my impression is that you lack the knowledge to properly do this.

Anyway, to use IRC you should get an IRC client and mIRC is arguably the most popular IRC client for Windows.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Freddo wrote:To make a game compatible with ScummVM is an immense amount of work, and will require you to spend many hours reverse-engineer the game and do a lot of C++ programming.
This statement is not quite correct. Usually it takes months, not mere hours of work to reverse-engineer a game :)

Eugene
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Ptitdave wrote:Thanks for your quickly answer Strangerke

How can I come on this IRC Channel, i must download what ?

Thanks
You need to either download an IRC client or, at a pinch, use a web client. Such as kiwiirc, or Googling for "freenode irc web client" can probably find you others as well. Then specify '#scummvm' (with a # at the front) as the channel you want to join.

We don't want to scare you away. If you generally want to learn how to create an engine, and are willing to put in the effort, you'll be able to get advice in the channel.