Phoenix Online Remaking Gabriel Knight 1

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MusicallyInspired

Phoenix Online Remaking Gabriel Knight 1

Post by MusicallyInspired »

This is apparently "Mystery Game X" that Jane Jensen and Pinkerton Road Studios have been teasing since their Kickstarter. The backgrounds look amazing and the remade theme song is quite good as well.

Website
Interview with Jane Jensen

Freddo

Post by Freddo »

This is nice, but I kinda wish they had gone for GK2 or GK3 as they are in more need of a remake IMO. GK1 aged really well with it's wellmade 2D pixel graphics while GK2 & GK3 aged less well with all the FMVs and primitive 3D graphics.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Freddo wrote:This is nice, but I kinda wish they had gone for GK2 or GK3 as they are in more need of a remake IMO. GK1 aged really well with it's wellmade 2D pixel graphics while GK2 & GK3 aged less well with all the FMVs and primitive 3D graphics.
Well, they used actors in GK2 and prerendered backgrounds. The acting wasn't superb, but it was good, IMHO.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Also, the graphics do look fantastic and they pretty much look prerendered - not 3D.

The remade title music sounds great, too! (although, a bit "noisy" IMHO when it comes to the "oomph" with the pipe organs)

Can't wait for the release :)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

GK1 is the better game of the three. Remaking 2 or 3 wouldn't make sense to try and rejuvinate the series to a new audience. It's not just for the fans.

Yeah, the main theme has a couple quirks. I don't particularly like the drum sounds and it sounds like everything is struggling slightly to stay in time. It's also slower than the original. I actually liked the piledriver sounds. Also, it's Robert Holmes back redoing the whole soundtrack so you can't complain too much. I wish the guitar sounds were more prevalent, which were quite powerful in the original. You can barely hear a hint of them in this version.