Abandonware Discussion

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

LAURA BOW: THE COLONEL´S BEQUEST (1989)

I know its extremely dated but it holds a special place in my heart, just reminiscing on all the hours me and my friends spent solving mysteries in this game. I think it was my very first adventure game. After that I would have to say Monkey Island 1, that game is hilarious, and my favourite author wrote the jokes for the dueling segments, Orson Scott Card :D . I also had a ton of fun in Blue Force (moderatorial: link censored), You guys should check it out.

Enderverse Rules!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

citizeneman wrote: I also had a ton of fun in Blue Force (moderatorial: link censored), You guys should check it out.
Please, read forum rules before post. Link to warez sites aren't allowed. And before you ask, check our Copyright FAQ.

Eugene
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

Sev to my knowledge Blue Force is abandonware and not protected by the ESA, or it would not have been on [censored]. You can goto ... and see that they forbit Warez/Old Warez. So I did not break any rules. :lol:
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

The Copyright FAQ wrote:Abandonware is not a proper legal concept. Copyright of computer software seems to end after 70 years. Feel free to check back in around 2060 if you're allowed to download the games then.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

citizenman, please, take a look at your PM. I have something else to tell to you.

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

citizeneman wrote:Sev to my knowledge Blue Force is abandonware and not protected by the ESA, or it would not have been on [censored]. You can goto ... and see that they forbit Warez/Old Warez. So I did not break any rules. :lol:
Your knowledge seems to be limited here. Just a peek on that site discovered that they offer all smaller LucasArts and Sierra adventures, AdventureSoft games which are still on sale and bunch of other stuff. So you did break our rules.

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Heh, these people are amazing. On their FAQ they cite Wikipedia but stop at the right for them point. I'll cite it fully here:
Abandonware is computer software which is no longer being sold or supported by its copyright holder. Sometimes, it is used as a blanket category for any software over a certain age, usually five years.

The term has no legal meaning. This means that labeling any kind of software 'abandonware' does not make it legal to distribute it. Unless the author puts the software in the public domain, any and all abandonware remains covered under copyright law until its copyright term expires.
So you may see by yourself.

Eugene
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

You sure go along way to prove a point, I mean was it really necessary to make a new topic? You could have just PMed me about it. :D

EDIT: please delete this thread its pointless
Last edited by citizeneman on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

citizeneman wrote:You sure go along way to prove a point, I mean was it really necessary to make a new topic? You could have just PMed me about it. :D
I had a dilemma either kill all your posts as off-topic at that thread or split the topic. I chose the latter. But if you want, this thread could be deleted completely.

Eugene