Secret of monkey island (1) voice.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SaarSushi

Secret of monkey island (1) voice.

Post by SaarSushi »

Does a version of SOMI with voices exists (CD version)? Or kyrandia for example?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

there is in fact a cd version but unfortuneatley lucasarts never made speech versions of Monkey island 1 and 2. the cd version features high quality cd audio tracks for the music in SOMI. while it is possible that there is a cd version of MI2 other than the MI 1&2 compilations (Monkey Island Madness, whitelabel releases, etc.) MI2 uses the iMuse system to actively change instruments, generaly modify and transtion the music played in response to your characters movement or actions during gameplay.
I always thought it would be a cool project though to make a speech pak for MI 1+2, it doesent seem totally impossible, maybe write some code that responds to the subtitles and calls up a voice file out of some fan created sound bank.
sorry for the huge tangent :)
clem

Post by clem »

oh yeah, there are talkie versions of kyrandia 1 (english, german, french I think?), there are also talkie versions of HoF and Malcolm's revenge, even if that doesn't make any sense for ScummVM right now

clem
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

clem wrote:oh yeah, there are talkie versions of kyrandia 1 (english, german, french I think?)
well just with englisch, german or french subtitles, there is only an english talkie.
clem

Post by clem »

LordHoto wrote:
clem wrote:oh yeah, there are talkie versions of kyrandia 1 (english, german, french I think?)
well just with englisch, german or french subtitles, there is only an english talkie.
I could swear my CD version has german voices (can't check right now though); and I think I remember some eerie voice telling me "Kyrandia verschwindet"... but then again that could be the start of Alzheimer's for me :-)
Steamo

Post by Steamo »

Is there anyway that you could record someone speaking the text for MI 1/2 and incorporate those files into the game?
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Steamo wrote:Is there anyway that you could record someone speaking the text for MI 1/2 and incorporate those files into the game?
Hmm, maybe it's possible, but I think that's quite difficult. Well, I think I read somewhere that a group of fans want to record a fanmade Indy3 speech for the game. I think they released a demo of this speech. Here's a link to it: http://la-patches.gandimann.de/forum/vi ... 12&start=0
(It's in german, though, site and speech.)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

clem wrote:
LordHoto wrote:
I could swear my CD version has german voices (can't check right now though); and I think I remember some eerie voice telling me "Kyrandia verschwindet"... but then again that could be the start of Alzheimer's for me :-)
Yeah the Kyrandia 2 Intro has indeed localized voices (even the floppy versions I think).
PokeParadox

Post by PokeParadox »

Voices were actually done before. Unfortunately the project fizzled out.
I believe the site used to be situated at www.earwacs.org ... but that's kinda irrelevant now.

They had a working proof of concept using the Monkey Island 1 demo.

basically they created a monster.sou file and modified SCUMMVM a bit so that it would load it for non talky games.
Last edited by PokeParadox on Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cryptoknight

Post by cryptoknight »

Abs
Last edited by cryptoknight on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PokeParadox

Post by PokeParadox »

This is about the only coherent thing I can dig up on the earwacs project:
http://tangentmind.250free.com/news.html
Grobo

Post by Grobo »

cryptoknight wrote:Voice over stuff has been an off/on hobby of mine. If there comes a reasonably easy process to putting voice into non-talkie games, I would gladly contribute to the effort with my "voice" talents.
Sounds cool. I have a pretty wide arrange of "voices" too that I've pestered my friends with since I was a child. From squeaky ones to pretty low voices. I've never taken the step into anything "proffesional" but it has kinda been a fun "feature". ;)

If you need a hand in this project, gimme a "call". grobo@comhem.se (from Sweden, no accent when speaking english though). I'd be happy to help bringing Moneky Island to life!
Tooplex

Post by Tooplex »

If anyone made a sound pack for MI 1 and 2 then they would be as popular as those people who are making a ps1 emulator for the psp!
vikingstew

Reviving a dead thread

Post by vikingstew »

I was part of the earwacs team. tangentmind.250free.com was mine. I had to switch hosting a few times, and eventually they all went down. I probably still have some back ups on a hard drive, if I am ever able to dig them out.

forums.scummvm.org/archives.php?thread=1258209&sid=ed2021b4210bceb6078bf5c64304d69e has a little more info

I'm thinking about creating a wikipedia article describing the rise and fall of earwacs. Since I lost the contact information for everyone involved, and I can't remember a lot of the details, I'm not sure what to put in the article.

Earwacs was functional but, if I remember correctly, there were still a few small technical issues that we were trying to work out before doing an official release(I wasn't the programmer). Also, the scummvm developers wanted nothing to do with it for legal reasons. Therefore, we basically had to unofficially fork scummvm, and if any changes were made to scummvm that made mi1 or mi2 play better, we would still be using the old code unless we forked it again.

I think, ultimately everyone involved had lives and jobs and school and reality and those things just took precedence over Earwacs.

Now, I believe lucas arts has officially released monkey island 1 and 2 with full digital speech. Whether or not our small project had anything to do with that I will probably never know, but I am happy to see the product even if I didn't get to voice it myself.