Subversion Build Stability

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

citizeneman

Subversion Build Stability

Post by citizeneman »

Are all of the games on the compatibility chart stable on the Subversion Build? (not including Kyrandia). Im using the Win32 Build.

Thanks in advance. :wink:
clem

Post by clem »

yes, and even more; run

scummvm.exe -z

from the commandline to see the list of games

note that the games not listed on the compatibility page aren't listed for a reason :-)

edit: err. I should learn to read - yeah, they're quite stable but the occasional bug creeps in - gets fixed quite fast when reported though usually

clem
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

So would you say the stability is on par with the official released version? (not including Kyrandia). If it is I think Ill just use the Subversion build from now on. I was wondering because Im making a ScummVm disk with all of my ScummVM compatible games on it, and I wanted to include The Legend of Kyrandia with it but not if that means sacrificing stability for the rest by using the SubVersion build.

Clem thanks for your quick response! :D
clem

Post by clem »

the official releases have been thoroughly tested (each game is checked if it's completeable before the release occurs)

that's of course not possible with the SVN builds, but I'd recommend the daily SVN builds because there can never be enough bug testers
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

Cool thanks 8)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Actually, SVN builds can always be totally hosed, and contain bugs that e.g. cause your complete configuration file to be wiped clean, create unusable savegames, cause crashes, and other things. All of these have happened, and can happen again. If you want to burn a CD/DVD with ScummVM, I recommend you either use a release version, or use a SVN build which you tested yourself for a couple days.

That said, of course we also rely on people reporting any regressions to us, so we can fix 'em :-).
citizeneman

Post by citizeneman »

fingolfin wrote:Actually, SVN builds can always be totally hosed, and contain bugs that e.g. cause your complete configuration file to be wiped clean, create unusable savegames, cause crashes, and other things. All of these have happened, and can happen again. If you want to burn a CD/DVD with ScummVM, I recommend you either use a release version, or use a SVN build which you tested yourself for a couple days.

That said, of course we also rely on people reporting any regressions to us, so we can fix 'em :-).

I will keep that in mind when it comes time to burn it. Thanks
JKing

Post by JKing »

What I did with my DVD was to have the disc contain all the games I have, but not ScummVM itself. This way the version of ScummVM available at the time of production of the DVD is immaterial. The autorun script (a "simple" batch file) would check the Windows registry to see where ScummVM is, and execute it from wherever it was. The INI file would reside on the DVD (which means you can't change it), but saved games would get stored wherever ScummVM is.

Of course, this falls down if you don't use the distribution of ScummVM with an installer, or if you don't run Windows, or possibly a number of other reasons. I'd be glad to share the batch file in question if anyone's interested: I made it pretty complex after a while.