GOG.com releases The Legend of Kyrandia Book I

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

raina

GOG.com releases The Legend of Kyrandia Book I

Post by raina »

And knowing GOG, the sequels probably aren't far behind.

Here's a link for regular customers: http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_kyrandia

And here for newbies, ScummVM's affiliate link: http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/?pp=22d ... 477c95c23d
Last edited by raina on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Thanks! They also recently started selling I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Very nice, I never played the second game.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Freddo wrote:Very nice, I never played the second game.
The second is nice, comes in the same style as Book 1...too bad they jumped the "3D" boat with part 3.

Though some say that the third part is the best...i don't ;-)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The third one is not native 3D. I don't see what's so bad about prerendered graphics.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I feel that pre-rendered backgrounds from the 90s aged quite a bit worse than painted&scanned backgrounds from the games of the same era. Still ok-ish though.

Never been a fan of pre-rendered graphics for sprites though (which Kyrandia 3 fortunately do not use IIRC). For example, I never fell for the graphics in Donkey Kong Country on the SNES because of it, while my friends were in awe.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Yeah, it's not the prerendered graphics per se...one just feels completely out of place when playing the trilogy in a row.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I still think Prisoner of Ice looks good. I also like DKC, though. It must be the very fluid animation.
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

Raziel wrote:Yeah, it's not the prerendered graphics per se...one just feels completely out of place when playing the trilogy in a row.
You could say the same about the music then. The digital music of Malcolm's Revenge stands out a lot when compared to the midi music of The Legend of Kyrandia and The Hand of Fate.

(And it was for the better IMO, Frank Klepacki really started to put his mark with this game)
samlii

Post by samlii »

The are now also selling the rest of the trilogy. Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread.
WildmanCAL

Post by WildmanCAL »

I'm glad GOG released the games but playing LoK 1 with the defaults isn't where it should be. They have it set to AdLib for music and it completely ruins Frank Klepacki's score. The music for LoK 1 was LEGEN -wait for it- DARY!

Anyone figure out how to tweak it so it plays MT-32?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

WildmanCAL wrote:They have it set to AdLib for music and it completely ruins Frank Klepacki's score.
AdLib seems like a sensible default to me, since that's what would be available to most users. Changing it should just be a matter of changing the Audio and/or MIDI settings in ScummVM, shouldn't it?

(For what it's worth, I think the AdLib music sounds surprisingly good in the first Kyrandia game, and it even plays music in a few places where there is no MT-32 music, e.g. in Brandon's home. I don't know off-hand if that music is actually unique to the AdLib score, or if it's just reused there though.)