Release of ScummVM 1.6.0 "+4 to engines"

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Release of ScummVM 1.6.0 "+4 to engines"

Post by LordHoto »

After 11 long months we are thrilled to announce the release of ScummVM 1.6.0.

It's not very often (if ever) that we add 4 new engines in a single release, but yes, these have been busy months for the team indeed.

Let's just list the new games 1.6.0 contains for you:
- 3 Skulls of the Toltecs
- Eye of the Beholder
- Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon
- Hopkins FBI
- Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths
- The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime

Other significant features include support for the Macintosh version of Discworld 1 and the music in the Macintosh versions of LucasArts adventures, an update to the latest Roland MT-32 emulation code, a new cool grid chooser for your savegames, an extended FluidSynth configuration dialog, and major bugfixes to bike fights in Full Throttle. We have also added Belarusian, Finnish and Galician translations to our GUI.

Of course, there is much more; you can find the full list in our release notes and the release itself on our downloads page.

Enjoy!
rtr86

Post by rtr86 »

Really very impressed with this,
A big thanks to the ScummVM team for their hard-work.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

Where is the Mac version? :?
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Lebostein wrote:Where is the Mac version? :?
Our builder for that port did not find time yet. We hope it will be available soon.
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

LordHoto wrote:
Lebostein wrote:Where is the Mac version? :?
Our builder for that port did not find time yet. We hope it will be available soon.
Ok, because I was just wondering that too :(
rafi

Post by rafi »

Add one more to the "waiting for Mac port" list.
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

I wanted to update on my MacBook, and I was a bit surprised too that the OS X version isn't there. But if it's on its way, we'll just wait. ^^
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

LordHoto wrote:Our builder for that port did not find time yet. We hope it will be available soon.
Next time you should announce a release of a new ScummVM version until everything is finished...
OK ... we wait ... 8)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Lebostein wrote:Next time you should announce a release of a new ScummVM version until everything is finished...
EDIT: Sure, it would be nice if every single one of our dozen or so ports could be built within the freeze time, but since our porters too have lives, this is not always happening. People with the needed expertise, hardware and time do not grow on trees.
GabeCube

Post by GabeCube »

Not here to hurry anyone, just curious: 1.6 will have a Wii release too, right? (I am also waiting for the Mac version in the meantime).

I just ask because 1.5 broke a lot of stuff and still didn't have the correct libogc, so I can't use my Wii Remotes with built-in motion plus... and I can't seem to find a version of 1.4 for download anywhere.

Again, I am in no hurry, just making sure that there are plans to get it ported.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

GabeCube wrote:Not here to hurry anyone, just curious: 1.6 will have a Wii release too, right? (I am also waiting for the Mac version in the meantime).
As far as we know, yes, there will be a Wii port of 1.6.0
GameCube wrote:I just ask because 1.5 broke a lot of stuff and still didn't have the correct libogc, so I can't use my Wii Remotes with built-in motion plus... and I can't seem to find a version of 1.4 for download anywhere.
Do the daily versions from buildbot work OK?

Also, you can find all past releases in the files folder of sf.net:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scummvm/files/scummvm/
GabeCube

Post by GabeCube »

I must admit I have no clue how to compile the .tar available on the buildbot, so no, I did not try the daily version. I mean, I assume that the .tar is an uncompiled filed because I need a .dol or .elf file to execute code on Wii.

As for the link, believe you me, I spent some time digging around SF for the 1.4 version... looked again now just to be sure, but I can't seem to find a Wii version under 1.4.1 or 1.4. Unless it has a very bizarre filename that is different from the one used on 1.5, I don't see it there.

People over at the Wii subsection of the Forum have also mentioned that they had a hard time finding it, as well as confirming that 1.5 has a bunch of games that result in coredumps on start that weren't there on the previous version.

Any help on figuring out how to use the tarball would be gladly welcome though :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

GabeCube wrote:I must admit I have no clue how to compile the .tar available on the buildbot, so no, I did not try the daily version. I mean, I assume that the .tar is an uncompiled filed because I need a .dol or .elf file to execute code on Wii.
I don't know anything about the Wii, but .tar could be anything since it's just an archive file format. (Kind of like ZIP, but much older and not compressed.)
GabeCube

Post by GabeCube »

OK, now I feel really stupid.

I had opened the tar.bz2 and found another .tar inside, so I just figure it was something uncompiled. You can't imagine my surprise when I opened this other .tar now and found the actual build inside.

Sorry for the trouble, guys. I will go ahead and test this build. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

GabeCube wrote:I must admit I have no clue how to compile the .tar available on the buildbot, so no, I did not try the daily version. I mean, I assume that the .tar is an uncompiled filed because I need a .dol or .elf file to execute code on Wii.
Daily builds are compressed in *.tar.bz2 archives, which can be uncompressed by a variety of tools. Under Windows, WinRAR can extract them, and I believe that 7-zip can open them as well. I just checked the latest unstable buildbot version, and it does include a boot.elf file, like the stable 1.5.0 version.
GabeCube wrote:As for the link, believe you me, I spent some time digging around SF for the 1.4 version... looked again now just to be sure, but I can't seem to find a Wii version under 1.4.1 or 1.4. Unless it has a very bizarre filename that is different from the one used on 1.5, I don't see it there.
Yes, you're right, there doesn't seem to be a Wii binary for 1.4.*, only for 1.3.* and 1.5.*