Steam games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Duffadash

Steam games

Post by Duffadash »

I know the ScummVM team have purposely decided not to make the steam SCUMM games runnable with ScummVM. This, I believe, was done to not anger LucasArts unnecessarily.

LucasArts is dead and gone though. Having been purchased by Disney (which seems mostly interested in using the Star Wars IP so far), there doesn't seem to be much stopping ScummVM from supporting those games now.
It would certainly be beneficial to all us Linux gamers, (especially since the alternative seems to be hunting down physical copies or pirating them, even though they can be legally purchased from Steam today).

So, my question is: Would the team reconsider not supporting the Steam games? I would so like to be able to finally complete Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

otoh if Disney is NOT "mostly interested in using the Star Wars IP" only, but wants to milk the others IP's aswell, you might summon a much bigger monkey on the projects back (so to speak) ;-)

Disney lawyers might actually be able to wipe out an open source project...who knows...
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Raziel wrote:Disney lawyers might actually be able to wipe out an open source project...who knows...
Oh, they're probably able to wipe out the common cold on a worldwide basis, if given the chance.
Duffadash

Post by Duffadash »

Raziel wrote:otoh if Disney is NOT "mostly interested in using the Star Wars IP" only, but wants to milk the others IP's aswell, you might summon a much bigger monkey on the projects back (so to speak) ;-)

Disney lawyers might actually be able to wipe out an open source project...who knows...
But do they even have any control over the Steam released games?
Hell it's not exactly like they've been attacking Raven for releasing the Jedi Knight 1&2 sourcecode...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Duffadash wrote:
Raziel wrote:otoh if Disney is NOT "mostly interested in using the Star Wars IP" only, but wants to milk the others IP's aswell, you might summon a much bigger monkey on the projects back (so to speak) ;-)

But do they even have any control over the Steam released games?
Hell it's not exactly like they've been attacking Raven for releasing the Jedi Knight 1&2 sourcecode...
Raven Software did not release the source code for Jedi Knight 1 AFAIK. It only did release the source code for Jedi Knight 2 & 3. They developed both and the engine is actually based on the Quake 3 engine. So the legal situation there has a very high chance of being different to in-house games developed by LucasArts.
Duffadash

Post by Duffadash »

LordHoto wrote:
Duffadash wrote: But do they even have any control over the Steam released games?
Raven Software did not release the source code for Jedi Knight 1 AFAIK. It only did release the source code for Jedi Knight 2 & 3. They developed both and the engine is actually based on the Quake 3 engine. So the legal situation there has a very high chance of being different to in-house games developed by LucasArts.
Sorry, the 1&2 thing was a typo, I of course meant 2&3.

Do you really think that support for the SCUMM games are going to attract more negative attention from Disney than the release of source code for a Star Wars game, even if it was developed by a third party?

In the end, I guess I'm just really hoping that I can get to play Loom again without having to hunt down a physical copy.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Duffadash wrote: Do you really think that support for the SCUMM games are going to attract more negative attention from Disney than the release of source code for a Star Wars game, even if it was developed by a third party?
I think Raven Software might very well have the rights to do what they did (at least to some extend, I think the sourceforge.net project has been removed since it contained BINK code or something like that).
FlvZ2gWPdj9w71Fd97it

Post by FlvZ2gWPdj9w71Fd97it »

Are steam copies of games like FOA still unsupported? They don't seem to work with 1.6.0. Anyone know where in the source this prohibition exists?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The "prohibition" is that we just don't support the changes, nothing that throws it out if you know what you're doing.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

FlvZ2gWPdj9w71Fd97it wrote:Are steam copies of games like FOA still unsupported? They don't seem to work with 1.6.0. Anyone know where in the source this prohibition exists?
Games are supported. Solution here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ight=steam
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Lebostein wrote:
FlvZ2gWPdj9w71Fd97it wrote:Are steam copies of games like FOA still unsupported? They don't seem to work with 1.6.0. Anyone know where in the source this prohibition exists?
Games are supported. Solution here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... ight=steam
Thanks, but we do not want that to be published on our forums. I'm removing it.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

After a discussion, our stance on this subject has been changed, and the Steam versions will be supported in the latest unstable version of ScummVM, and perhaps in the upcoming version 1.7.0 as well.

Both the Windows and Mac Steam versions should be working. They can be bought off Steam as part of the "LucasArts Adventure Pack" for 9 EUR:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2102/
jms jams

Post by jms jams »

That is great news! I installed my Steam Loom in Mac and first tried to add it to ScummVM.

Pointing to App bundle didn't work, ScummVM didn't recognize any game. Then I just right clicked Loom app bundle in Finder and selected Show Contents. I copied the whole "Contents" folder to another location on the hard drive. I tried again adding the game in ScummVM by choosing the "Contents" folder. Now the game was properly recognized as "loom-steam-mac". However, when I try to start it, I get "Cannot find file: '000.lfl'" error message.

This all with Mavericks and Macbook Pro with newest nightly build. I can provide more info if needed. If this is a known issue, sorry for bothering. I just want to help if that is possible. Thanks again for support for Steam versions.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

jms jams wrote:That is great news! I installed my Steam Loom in Mac and first tried to add it to ScummVM.

Pointing to App bundle didn't work, ScummVM didn't recognize any game. Then I just right clicked Loom app bundle in Finder and selected Show Contents. I copied the whole "Contents" folder to another location on the hard drive. I tried again adding the game in ScummVM by choosing the "Contents" folder. Now the game was properly recognized as "loom-steam-mac". However, when I try to start it, I get "Cannot find file: '000.lfl'" error message.

This all with Mavericks and Macbook Pro with newest nightly build. I can provide more info if needed. If this is a known issue, sorry for bothering. I just want to help if that is possible. Thanks again for support for Steam versions.
Which OS are you using? You need the latest daily version of ScummVM for these versions to work. Try downloading a daily version here:
http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html
or, for Windows, you can try Kirben's build here:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/scummvm-win32.exe

Edit: Sorry, read your reply in a hurry... you did say Mavericks. Try the daily builds from buildbot.
Last edited by md5 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

md5 wrote:
jms jams wrote:That is great news! I installed my Steam Loom in Mac and first tried to add it to ScummVM.

Which OS are you using?
I would guess he's using Mac OS X 10.9 which is called Mavericks [1]. Since his nighty build of ScummVM already detects the game as Steam version, notice the target name, I would suggest to create a bug on our bug tracker about it.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mavericks