How to extract/decompile scripts for SCUMM v1-v3 games?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

How to extract/decompile scripts for SCUMM v1-v3 games?

Post by marzipan »

I was wondering if anyone in recent years has come up with an ideal way of doing any or all of the following with SCUMM v1-v3 titles:

a) Examine all their resources, bitmaps, scripts, rooms (in one convenient program).
b) Extract and/or decompile scripts.

ScummRev can't seem to handle any of the EGA titles by the looks of things, and I've tried all the versions of it from 2.0 to 5.0. DeScumm I've only been able to get working with later titles such as Monkey Island 2, but not, for instance, Indy Last Crusade EGA. Even when I use the files directly dumped by ScummVM, it can't work out or understand the script type.

I'd like to think that someone out there has come up with a more convenient solution to all this in the 11 or so years since ScummVM's inception. I've tried all the various oldie tools such as Scumm16 and what have you but I've not found anything that'll do exactly what I'm after.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Okay, to make things clearer, DeScumm will not decompile scripts from Last Crusade EGA or Loom EGA. I specify "-3" to tell it that they're v3 according to the SCUMM versions table, but it will still spout "ERROR: Unknown script type!". Can anyone help out at all?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

marzipan wrote:Okay, to make things clearer, DeScumm will not decompile scripts from Last Crusade EGA or Loom EGA. I specify "-3" to tell it that they're v3 according to the SCUMM versions table, but it will still spout "ERROR: Unknown script type!". Can anyone help out at all?
I'm never quite sure which flags to use myself, but "-3 -u" seems to work for Loom and the Macintosh version (I don't have the PC EGA version) of Last Crusade.
Nitrus

Post by Nitrus »

I'm not sure if this applies and/or helps, since I've never had much interest in poking around Scumm based games, but you might want to take a look at these, they could prove useful to you... Then again maybe not, just putting it out there.