Secret of MI: mt32 vs cd-audio version: which sounds better?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
badbob001
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:36 pm

Secret of MI: mt32 vs cd-audio version: which sounds better?

Post by badbob001 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:29 pm

Given the two version of Secret of Monkey Island, the 256 color with roland mt32 emulation and the monkey island madness cd-audio version, which sounds better?

Does one have more music or sound than the other? I do remember when playing with adlib audio vs mt32 using the game engine (not through scummvm), there were some more sound effects with the adlib. Is this resolved with the adlib/gm sound setting?

User avatar
Raziel
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 1120
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:27 am
Location: a story that hasn't been written yet

Post by Raziel » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:58 pm

hmm, given the fact that i don't have a true
Roland hardware and have to use the in-built
emulation, it sounds

TERRIBLE

compared to the DEFAULT or ADLIB setting.

Plus the fact that the MT32 emulation slows down ScummVM on my
machine (PPC G3@800Mhz), so that i cannot enjoy FotAQ anymore.
Intro is nearly crawling and sound is awful, skippy and much
too low on volume.

Even worse it's with Monkey 2, it just sounds as if some
cheap PC speaker throws up some noises :-(

/edit

Monkey 2 iMuse rulez! :-D

/edit

fingolfin
Retired
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Post by fingolfin » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:36 pm

Raziel wrote:hmm, given the fact that i don't have a true
Roland hardware and have to use the in-built
emulation, it sounds

TERRIBLE

compared to the DEFAULT or ADLIB setting.

Plus the fact that the MT32 emulation slows down ScummVM on my
machine (PPC G3@800Mhz), so that i cannot enjoy FotAQ anymore.
Intro is nearly crawling and sound is awful, skippy and much
too low on volume.
Raziel, your machine is *way* to low spec to able to properly use the MT-32 emu. So, of course it sounds like crap.

On a decent 2-3 Ghz intel box, it should be quite usable, though.

Still, the CD audio version was sampled from a real MT-32, and of course is less taxing on your CPU power, so I'd probably prefer that over the combo MI1 + MT-32 emulator.

User avatar
Kaminari
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:25 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Kaminari » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:02 pm

In all fairness, I can't exactly compare the emu with my MT-32 module, but it sounds more than decent (and actually very good in MI2). At least it sounds definitely better than a "cheap PC speaker".

MI1CD has an advantage over the MT-32. The CD version has a couple of ambient tracks not present in the MT-32 soundtrack.

User avatar
Raziel
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 1120
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:27 am
Location: a story that hasn't been written yet

Post by Raziel » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:12 pm

fingolfin wrote:
Raziel, your machine is *way* to low spec to able to properly use the MT-32 emu. So, of course it sounds like crap.

On a decent 2-3 Ghz intel box, it should be quite usable, though.

Still, the CD audio version was sampled from a real MT-32, and of course is less taxing on your CPU power, so I'd probably prefer that over the combo MI1 + MT-32 emulator.
I'm aware of the "low-spec" of my machine, well kindof, it's an
AmigaOne running on G3 and so to say it has quite decent speed ;-)

hmm, so the MT32 sound quality raises with the machine speed?

SimSaw
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by SimSaw » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:16 pm

How does this MT-32 work? Every game I try crashes (for example MI2). Is it just that I've got a Windows XP computer?

User avatar
Quietust
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:36 am

Post by Quietust » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:20 pm

If you're going to be comparing music, don't forget to include the Amiga version. Check the 'Amiga Resource' section of the SCUMM Bar website if you want to hear what they sound like.

User avatar
Kaminari
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:25 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Kaminari » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:28 am

Raziel wrote:it's an
AmigaOne running on G3 and so to say it has quite decent speed ;-)
Don't mistake OS power with CPU power. The MT32 emu needs a lot of raw power, and the AmigaOne currently doesn't have it.
Raziel wrote:hmm, so the MT32 sound quality raises with the machine speed?
Exactly.

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Post by sev » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:45 pm

SimSaw wrote:How does this MT-32 work? Every game I try crashes (for example MI2). Is it just that I've got a Windows XP computer?
You need correct MT-32 ROM file for it.


Eugene

Post Reply