Where can I find extensive documentation on Cine & Gob?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Where can I find extensive documentation on Cine & Gob?

Post by marzipan »

The wiki pages on SCI and AGI have helped me a great deal in learning to understand how the scripts and resource layouts in those games work and the list of opcodes has been a particularly great guide.

I'd quite like to learn more about the scripting in the Cine and Gob engines next but the wiki doesn't appear to have as much (if any) info on them as with SCI/AGI. Is such documentation available elsewhere or is it a closely guarded secret between the ScummVM dev team? :p

Ta!
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Re: Where can I find extensive documentation on Cine & G

Post by fuzzie »

marzipan wrote:I'd quite like to learn more about the scripting in the Cine and Gob engines next but the wiki doesn't appear to have as much (if any) info on them as with SCI/AGI. Is such documentation available elsewhere or is it a closely guarded secret between the ScummVM dev team? :p
Alas, for most of our engines, the in-tree engine source code is the best documentation we have.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Yeah, nothing like this exists for the gob engine. I also don't really have the time to write an extensive breakdown (nor would I find that exciting in any way, sorry).

I am of course happy to try to clear any remaining unclarities and questions you might have after you read the source.

Just keep in mind that the gob engine, especially concerning resources and scripts, is quite...messy and unstructured. Resources can be in several places, often just addressed by a numerical ID, and the type is implicit in their usage. Variable management is solely done by the scripts; the engine only knows that there's a block of memory used as variable space. Things of that nature.
Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Re: Where can I find extensive documentation on Cine & G

Post by Buddha »

marzipan wrote:I'd quite like to learn more about the scripting in the Cine and Gob engines
Here's some documentation on Cine:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Cine/Specifications

And the script opcodes are defined in ScummVM's source code scummvm/engines/cine/script_fw.cpp for Future Wars (See FWScript::setupTable in that file) and scummvm/engines/cine/script_os.cpp for Operation Stealth (See OSScript::setupTable in that file).

Other than that looking at the source code is the way, at least I don't know of any other documentation.

Kari Salminen / Buddha^