Help identifying a couple of games?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Freddo wrote:Wow, Universe. I had forgotten about that game. Never played it, but I remember being interested in the game from reading Amiga reviews.

If ScummVM ever start to support the game, I will try to hunt down a copy. Can't say I'm eager to fiddle with my Amiga anymore these days, unfortunately.
It was also released for DOS, both on floppy and on CD. I'm not sure which version I have, because I got it as part of the Search & Destroy compilation. I don't even know if there was any difference between the two versions, but for whatever it's worth the Amiga CD32 version has audio tracks on its CD.

On the subject of light-haired protagonists in blueish sci-fi environments, there's also Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender. But I haven't gotten around to playing it yet so I don't know if it fits with the rest of the description.
MoKeiichi

Post by MoKeiichi »

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Freddo
@Kosmonaut

http://www.recordedamigagames.org/recor ... iverse.mp4

Amiga Longplay of Universe
Kosmonaut

Post by Kosmonaut »

Apologies for the massive 2 year bump.
Hi, thanks for this, this looks like the one! Unfortunately, I'm unable to run this at the moment either in ScummVM or dosbox, ScummVM complains about missing game data.

I think the zip file may be partially corrupt as there was one file, "VFW.SOL", that I could not extract - windows would just return an "unexpected error".

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

edit: nevermind, I eventually got it to work in dosbox, thanks again!
Collector

Post by Collector »

VFW.SOL is just the "Video for Windows" setup. You only need it if you are trying to set the game up directly in Windows, which is impossible if you are on 64-bit Windows. For some reason Frans stripped out the RESOURCE.AUD file and has it as a separate zip.

This demo is SCI2.1, which is not supported by ScummVM. To use DOSBox you have to run the setup first.

Here is an intact copy of the demo. http://sierrahelp.com/Misc/Demos.html#SQ
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

Second one sounds like my kind of game, but I can't think which game it could be. Nightlong:Union City Conspiracy springs to mind, but the protagonist in that was bald. Ooh, or very possibly the Fifth Element game?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Robot_Maker20 wrote:Second one sounds like my kind of game, but I can't think which game it could be. Nightlong:Union City Conspiracy springs to mind, but the protagonist in that was bald. Ooh, or very possibly the Fifth Element game?
Sounds a bit like the Blade Runner game to me. Or even Beneath a Steel Sky.