Help identifying a couple of games?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kosmonaut

Help identifying a couple of games?

Post by Kosmonaut »

Hi, I am trying to look for a couple of games I remember playing sometime in the nineties that most likely came with PC Format magazine demo disks/cd roms. I must warn you that I only have a vague recollection and cannot go into detail.

The first game (in the demo at least) had you in some sort of hotel. It seemed like I needed to find a way to escape the hotel or something of that sort. I remember you could go to different areas of the hotel, including I think the basement. I also remember a point where I needed to break open a box with a crowbar, and that once you had completed the hotel level you drive off somewhere, and the demo ends. I also have a feeling that it featured an animal, possibly a monkey or a parrot or something, though I may be wrong.

The other game I have an even vaguer recollection of. Basically in the demo it was some sci-fi themed adventure, where you can explore some large but seemingly empty futuristic building of sorts. There was a sort of blueish colour to it, and I think the guy you control had blonde hair (I know what you are thinking: space quest, but I am not so sure, unless it is one of the later ones, and I may only be saying blonde hair because my memory has merged with space quest). I remember at one point you could go outside to some sort of car park (or maybe it was more of a "space-craft" park), and I think it may have had a main lift which took you to all the levels of the building.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The first one sounds like Flight of the Amazon Queen. The full game is now available for free on our download page, so you can grab it there and check if this is the one.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Help identifying a couple of games?

Post by DrMcCoy »

Kosmonaut wrote:[...] sci-fi themed [...] large but seemingly empty futuristic building of sorts [...] blueish colour to it
The Dig?
Kosmonaut

Post by Kosmonaut »

criezy wrote:The first one sounds like Flight of the Amazon Queen. The full game is now available for free on our download page, so you can grab it there and check if this is the one.
Thanks, this is most likely it, although it seems a little different from the demo I remember playing, maybe they made a few changes for the full release.
Kosmonaut

Re: Help identifying a couple of games?

Post by Kosmonaut »

DrMcCoy wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:[...] sci-fi themed [...] large but seemingly empty futuristic building of sorts [...] blueish colour to it
The Dig?
So far from the videos I have watched it does not seem to be it.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The seond is too vague...

Could be Universe.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The second one could also be Beneath a Steel Sky. You do start in a blueish building (albeit not abandoned), and then you do use a lift (at the beginning of the game, and then further on).
Kosmonaut

Post by Kosmonaut »

Just completed Flight of the Amazon Queen on my android tablet, I must say I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend any other lighthearted games like that? (other than the obvious monkey island and day of the tentacle)

Raziel wrote:The seond is too vague...

Could be Universe.
I'll look into it although I am having difficulty finding information on this one.
md5 wrote:The second one could also be Beneath a Steel Sky. You do start in a blueish building (albeit not abandoned), and then you do use a lift (at the beginning of the game, and then further on).
I do not think it is that.
Gerinych

Post by Gerinych »

Sounds a bit like Bargon Attack. The guy in it is blonde, and it takes place in the future (I think).
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Universe Amiga version:

http://hol.abime.net/1815/screenshot
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Wow, Universe. I had forgotten about that game. Never played it, but I remember being interested in the game from reading Amiga reviews.

If ScummVM ever start to support the game, I will try to hunt down a copy. Can't say I'm eager to fiddle with my Amiga anymore these days, unfortunately.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

It could be also Space Quest:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/space ... tId,17664/

Or also one of the Brad Stallion serie... http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/pla ... Id,230848/
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Strangerke wrote:Or also one of the Brad Stallion serie... http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/pla ... Id,230848/
Oh my :shock:
...another B-Grade game? :P How many are there out there?
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Don't tell me you missed this serie when it was released? 0_o

(It didn't age well, btw)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »