Westwood and Discworld adventures release status?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cappuchok

Westwood and Discworld adventures release status?

Post by cappuchok »

Hey guys, I've been out of the ScummVM/retrogaming loop for a while, so I thought I'd stop by and ask what's happening.

Specifically, it would be interesting to know what, if anything, has happened concerning the possible freeware reissuing of the Kyrandia series and the Discworld games. I was slightly involved in the Kyrandia effort, helping Petroglyph (old Westwood) track down where the rights went after Virgin's demise (I think they ended up in Paramount's portfolio).

Has anyone continued this effort? I think I remember some of the ScummVM people talking to Petroglyph for the implementation of the engine, but what happened to the freeware discussion?

Also, what happened to Discworld - I remember there was talk about a freeware release but somewhere along the line it seems to have dropped off the edge of the Disc (pardon the pun)?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Westwood and Discworld adventures release status?

Post by LordHoto »

cappuchok wrote:Has anyone continued this effort? I think I remember some of the ScummVM people talking to Petroglyph for the implementation of the engine, but what happened to the freeware discussion?
Most of the discussion we had with EA was rather about source code than a freeware release IIRC. I am also not aware that somebody ever tried to get a freeware discussion going after we added support for the games.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

LordHoto wrote:
cappuchok wrote:Has anyone continued this effort? I think I remember some of the ScummVM people talking to Petroglyph for the implementation of the engine, but what happened to the freeware discussion?
Most of the discussion we had with EA was rather about source code than a freeware release IIRC. I am also not aware that somebody ever tried to get a freeware discussion going after we added support for the games.
I think Ender would have been the ScummVM team member most involved in this, but I could be wrong. I personally did discuss it a little bit with Mike Legg, but since Petroglyph didn't have the code (EA-LA) nor the IP rights (Paramount), I'm not sure if Ender, or whoever from the ScummVM project continued the discussion with EA, took the discussion further. So I just wanted to check in and ask.

As for the Discworld project, I know there were plans for a freeware release discussed in some detail here on the forum, but it seems to have been abandoned due to messy rights situations or something?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

cappuchok wrote:
LordHoto wrote:
I think Ender would have been the ScummVM team member most involved in this, but I could be wrong. I personally did discuss it a little bit with Mike Legg, but since Petroglyph didn't have the code (EA-LA) nor the IP rights (Paramount), I'm not sure if Ender, or whoever from the ScummVM project continued the discussion with EA, took the discussion further. So I just wanted to check in and ask.
What I wrote is what I remember from my discussions with Ender.