WME Testing: Chivalry is not dead.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Backyard baseball is playable on my N810 but really sucks without a mouse for batting. This makes me think your N800 is slower than my N810 which makes me even more concerned about running any hi res game on it.
I'm booting from memory card and I don't have Diablo Turbo installed.

Is that enough to make a noticeable difference between our tablets?

I thought we shared the same hardware.

Anyway, this game looks super cute.

I'll just play it on my computer instead.

Thanks for this release. :)
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Grabbed a git snapshot just a couple of hours ago, just for building the wme engine and test it.
Well, I played Chivalry several times (in order to reach different endings) and nothing strange appeared, apart from the sound glitches other users already noticed.
No graphic bugs at all. Also, I must tell I never played the game with its own original executable, so I cannot say whether it behaves the right way or not. From my personal gaming experience, it has no glitches and does NOT raise cpu load at all.
(just for my knowledge, are there more than three different endings?)

Also, I downloaded "The Dead City" (suitable for adults only) and found a couple of small graphic issues (purple rectangles on the screen and a warning from console), so I will fill a bug report.
I think I'll give this engine some further try... :-)

Anyway somaen, you've done a great, great job up to this point! Thank you!

Edit: the same developers of the Dead City has created a nice tetris clone called TeTriks which is based upon wintermute too!
Well, it runs very well in scummvm, with no graphic glitches and no sound pops, so it is perfect!
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

topolinik wrote:(just for my knowledge, are there more than three different endings?)
I've found seven. I'm not sure if there are more.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Now I've found seven too :D
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

JenniBee wrote:I couldn't find any issues except for some sound popping when a track looped (apparently the same issue as this bug entry on the tracker).
That should be fixed now.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

misterhands wrote:4) after saving the game, the menu quickly appears and disappears again.
Fixed, although not in the best way, I now simply skip drawing the first frame after saving/loading. (The issues is also present in WME Lite, but not in WME).
misterhands wrote: 5) when you change the volume in the in-game menu, the current value is often not updated as you click.
Fixed this one too.

EDIT: The last fix might not be able to fix the game if it already has broken the setting, unless you adjust the volume ALL the way up, or down again first, to get the value working. It will also reset your volume-setting from prior playthroughs (as the setting has changed name now) the first time you try again.

EDIT2: And there [md5] helped me iron out a rather nasty crash-bug too. And, I've added a few more layers of attempts to get the correct fonts loaded, now you PROBABLY won't need to fetch an Arial-replacement yourself to play the game.

Also, the SaveGame-thumbnails are now WAY nicer, and the game now allows you to enable the FPS-counter. (Not that you'd really need it for anything other than debugging, but there it is atleast).
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Somaen, I'm actually givin' Rosemary a try for wintermute compatibility and I want to report a strange scummvm behaviour. I don't know if it's a bug or so.
Let's start with scummvm main window. Well, if I set in "general options" -> "Graphics tab" mode to "normal - no resize", then the scummvm window becomes small. After, when I change again "mode" to something bigger (2X or 3X, this doesn't matter) the window resizes BUT mouse pointer is bounded as if the window was still at normal size (that is, small). This way, I actually can't reach the options button anymore (be it on the right or at the bottom) and the only thing to do is to press ESC to quit. Next launch, the mouse pointer is "free" again.
Now, back to Rosemary.
Whatever graphic mode is selected, the scummvm window fast flashes during startup of the game (I think it goes through 800x600 and then 1024x768 which is the resolution set by the game - again, I can't be sure because it happens in a bunch of milliseconds). Well, the same strange behaviour I had with the scummvm main window appears. Due to the transition by the smaller window (800x600), when the game is started the mouse pointer is bounded to a smaller area (800x600, I checked it with gimp) and a big portion of the screen is never reachable for me.
Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: in source file engines/wintermute/wintermute.cpp:109 I just modified

Code: Select all

initGraphics(800, 600, true, &format);
into

Code: Select all

initGraphics(1024, 768, true, &format);
and after the startup the mouse pointer is now able to move across the whole screen (1024x768).
Going to test again scummvm with other games...
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Ok, I'll look into that, as well as some issues on the Amiga when I get some time.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

I just played through Actual Destination with the latest 32-bit Windows ScummVM daily build. It's completable, and there doesn't seem to be any issues (both characters move their mouths at the same time whenever either one of them are speaking, so I checked this in the original, and it's the same there as well). It plays great, since there aren't any Theora videos. :)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

I just fixed the slowdown in the Savegame-menus (hopefully), it's not the best fix, as there is still plenty of room for improvement, but atleast you should see fps's in the double-digits again.
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Yes that's better, I get 40ish FPS in the save/load menu.
CPU utilization is still a bit high, around 17% on my computer (i5). So I'll agree that there is still room for improvement! :wink:

I played through Chivalry as well, and I did exhaust the various endings I think. No new problem to report.
The footsteps sounds are still off though.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Well, the high CPU-usage is expected, the engine is capped to 60 fps (an arbitrarily chosen number really), and normally it will just take all draws and only draw the ones that were different from the previous frames.

The problem with the menus are that those are composed of a HUGE amount of draw-operations. (With the savegame-menu it's over 1000 per frame, which means a possibly huge amount of comparisons to find out which were different (although not as many as 1000^2, as some logic is applied, but it still gets quite big)).

Anyhow, the current fix is to basically disable all these checks when the number gets large enough, the upside of which is that there is CPU time left to actually draw a decent amount of frames, the downside of which is that the entire screen is updated for every frame, even when NOTHING is changed. (Which is the reason why the CPU goes as high as it does).

You wouldn't by any chance have 4 cores?
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Yes it's an i5 quad core (sandy). Quite a powerful little thing!

This looks like a complicated issue indeed. The original executable's menu seems to max out one core, so it looks like your code is better optimized already! 8)
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Anyone know where to find a copy of The Box? The link over at the WME Resource page is dead, and googling the game along w/ the authors hasn't turned anything up for me.
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

scoriae wrote:Anyone know where to find a copy of The Box? The link over at the WME Resource page is dead, and googling the game along w/ the authors hasn't turned anything up for me.
You can download any of the games from the Wintermute games page from archive.org.

The Box is archived here.