ScummVM Summons the Heroes of the Forgotten Realms

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

User avatar
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Germany

ScummVM Summons the Heroes of the Forgotten Realms

Post by LordHoto »

The city of Waterdeep is in dire need of heroes to defend it from the evil below the city. Assemble a group of four heroes, heed the call of the Lords of Waterdeep and start your quest in the sewers below the city!

But beware, for this is not your only quest. Archmage Khelben needs you to investigate strange happenings near the Temple of Darkmoon. People around it are disappearing and human remains are found in shallow graves.

The ScummVM Team is pleased to announce support for Eye of the Beholder and Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon. So grab your copies of the DOS versions of the games and start playing in the latest daily build of ScummVM and help us with the testing, while enjoying these great games.

As usual all bugs should be reported to our bug tracker. However, please make sure you have got all the required data files before you report a bug. You can find a list of data files on our wiki, here are the links for Eye of the Beholder and Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon. For further information, check out the bug submission guidelines.

Truus999
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Post by Truus999 »

Thanks guys,

I've been waiting for this one!

Cheers,
René

Tinhead Ned
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:32 am

Post by Tinhead Ned »

One thing I love about ScummVM is the way they're always adding games that, years ago, would have got you shouted down on this very forum as being 'outside the scope of ScummVM's vision'. Hell, I remember when they said AGI games would never bee supported! Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 are awesome. Keep up the good work.

User avatar
CaptainJei
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:57 am

Post by CaptainJei »

The Eye of the Beholder games use the KYRA engine, right? Do you think it would be good to give the KYRA games their own category now in the compatibility list? I think we have six of them now!

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

Tinhead Ned wrote:One thing I love about ScummVM is the way they're always adding games that, years ago, would have got you shouted down on this very forum as being 'outside the scope of ScummVM's vision'. Hell, I remember when they said AGI games would never bee supported! Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 are awesome. Keep up the good work.
There was an extensive discussion about this in the devel mail list. In essence, EOB 1 and 2 are exceptions to this, as they are based on an engine used for adventure games, and it was hard to keep two different versions of the same engine in sync (one with EOB support and one without it). The argument about the scope of games supported by ScummVM still stands. These two games were a notable exception to it.

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

Great news :) Both are great games and a very nice addition to ScummVM. Thanks for these, keep up the good work!

User avatar
misterhands
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: France

Post by misterhands »

Great, thanks ! And it looks like all the KYRA games are supported now too !

Truus999
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Finished EOB1

Post by Truus999 »

Again thanks for adding the games. I've enjoyed part 1 and part 2 is up next.

I just finished the first part and filed the following three bug reports. The last one is for EOB2 because ith crashed when I tried to import my EOB1 party.
3596547
3596548
3596549

Further more I have a two question which MAY be bugs.
  • When dropping a party member he becomes a set of bones.
    When resurrecting dead people by the dwarven cleric with a full party the person you replace ends als as a set of bones
Was this the same in the original?

athrxx
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Finished EOB1

Post by athrxx »

Truus999 wrote:Further more I have a two question which MAY be bugs.
  • When dropping a party member he becomes a set of bones.
    When resurrecting dead people by the dwarven cleric with a full party the person you replace ends als as a set of bones
Was this the same in the original?

Sounds like a bug. I'll try to fix the reported issues. Thanks for testing.


EDIT: I just tried to reproduce the issue mentioned above ("when dropping a party member he becomes a set of bones"). I didn't get a set of bones here. What should happen is that all inventory items of the character you remove are placed on the floor in front of the party. So if your character happened to carry one or more bone sets these bone set will also appear on the floor. But obviously these sets should be for different characters. Could you please check this again?

Truus999
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: Finished EOB1

Post by Truus999 »

athrxx wrote:
Truus999 wrote:Further more I have a two question which MAY be bugs.
  • When dropping a party member he becomes a set of bones.
    When resurrecting dead people by the dwarven cleric with a full party the person you replace ends als as a set of bones
Was this the same in the original?

Sounds like a bug. I'll try to fix the reported issues. Thanks for testing.


EDIT: I just tried to reproduce the issue mentioned above ("when dropping a party member he becomes a set of bones"). I didn't get a set of bones here. What should happen is that all inventory items of the character you remove are placed on the floor in front of the party. So if your character happened to carry one or more bone sets these bone set will also appear on the floor. But obviously these sets should be for different characters. Could you please check this again?
Retested and you're right I was dragging around a set of bones and that's what I'm seeing.

The new question is ;-) The dropped party member is gone. Is that the same behaviour as in the original game.

athrxx
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Finished EOB1

Post by athrxx »

Truus999 wrote: The new question is ;-) The dropped party member is gone. Is that the same behaviour as in the original game.

Yes, that's normal behavior. Where else should these characters appear, anyway?.

Truus999
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: Finished EOB1

Post by Truus999 »

athrxx wrote:
Truus999 wrote: The new question is ;-) The dropped party member is gone. Is that the same behaviour as in the original game.

Yes, that's normal behavior. Where else should these characters appear, anyway?.
Ok Thanks. I didn't remember and expected them to just stand in the place where I sacked them waiting to be re-recruited.

Truus999
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Finished EOB2

Post by Truus999 »

Finished this one also. No problems found.
Thanks again for making it possible

Cheers,
René

klum
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 am

Post by klum »

I'm sorry for asking this at this point, but I would really like to know if amiga file support is planned in the long run, especially considering the amazing fan-patched AGA version, which many consider to be the best version of EOB there is.

User avatar
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Germany

Post by LordHoto »

klum wrote:I'm sorry for asking this at this point, but I would really like to know if amiga file support is planned in the long run, especially considering the amazing fan-patched AGA version, which many consider to be the best version of EOB there is.
There's support planned for the official Amiga releases. There's no promises about the fan-patched AGA ones though.

Post Reply