Best Monkey Island Game

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Which Is The Best Monkey Island?

The Secret Of Monkey Island
28%
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
47%
The Curse Of Monkey Island
20%
The Escape From Monkey Island
5%

Total votes: 81

Lechuck

Best Monkey Island Game

Post by Lechuck »

I played through Monkey Island 1,2 & 3 now :D I was a joy to use my old games again, cause I do have the originals :P
Look at my fine collection of Monkey Island:
[img=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3717/monkeycollection0hu.th.jpg]
And this is just my Monkey Island games, I got lot's more :)
As you can see my first game was Monkey Island 2, it's gotten quite a few battle scars. But that only proves it was used much :P

Big thanks to the ScummVM development team!

I got Monkey Island 4 also but I don't really feel like playing it, the magic is kind of gone in that game :(
The best games IMO is Monkey Island 1 & 2, they had an atmosphere and a feel that few games comes close to. Monkey Island 3 was decent with the maintain of the 2D style, the story was a bit off for a true sequal but it lacked many ingredients that made MI 1&2 the great games they are.
I lost all hope with MI 4, crappy 3D graphics and no really good elements in the game. Really the graphics was soooo much better with 2D, all the art craftsmanship you saw in 1,2 & 3 was totally thrown away.

Which is the best Monkey Island? And try and motivate why it is the best?
Last edited by Lechuck on Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Post by clem »

Monkey2 for me, best balance of graphics and story/gameplay

Monkey1 probably has the better story but the gfx look 16color-ish
Monkey3 I've never played but the screenshots I saw always detered me
Monkey4 I won't even consider playing, it being 3D :-)
Lechuck

Post by Lechuck »

clem wrote:Monkey2 for me, best balance of graphics and story/gameplay

Monkey1 probably has the better story but the gfx look 16color-ish
Monkey3 I've never played but the screenshots I saw always detered me
Monkey4 I won't even consider playing, it being 3D :-)
Monkey 3 isn't that much of a disaster if you play Monkey 4 :lol:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I voted for Monkey4 as no-one else will ..... :-)
Lechuck

Post by Lechuck »

Jimbob wrote:I voted for Monkey4 as no-one else will ..... :-)
Can you give a motivation on it? It kind of fascinating to know why you think that.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

It was the first game I bought for my iBook ... that was the main reason why I voted for it and, as I mentioned before, no-one else will vote for it because everyone moans about it ... saying how crap it is compared to *blah blah blah*
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

I think Monkey Island 1 and 2 are very great games, but I can't decide which one's the best. I think Monkey Island 1 had a great story and was a innovation of adventuregames. Which other games of its time let you choose so many funny answers? ("Call me Squinky." :lol: ) Monkey Island 2 is also a fantastic game, I liked the jokes in it most (the English jokes, of course, since some aren't very funny when they are translated, I just say: woodchuck. :lol: )
Monkey Island 3 wasn't that bad at all, it was quite fun to play it. The graphics were pretty well made and Murray was certainly a darn funny character in the game :lol: .
But Monkey Island 4, on the other hand, shouldn't have been published imho. :shock:
Well, it hasn't much left of it's predecessors, only vague ideas from earlier games mixed up with crappy controlling. I played it through once, don't know why I haven't played it through one more time *whistle* :roll: . Well, if you think about things like that Monkey Combat stuff and such in the game and of the ending, it's really the weakest part of the Monkey Island series.
Btw: Ron Gilbert, creator of MI1+2 never actually played through MI4 because of the controls. I read a fan told him about the ending of MI4. For those of you who have played through MI4 can imagine how he felt :roll: .
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

I voted for SMI purely because its the original, it introduces the characters that make this series great. I love going back regularly and playing it (even in 16 color EGA :D ) The swordfighting insults alone could have decided this vote for me.

A close Second place would have to go to Lechucks Revenge. Everytime i play through this game im laughing at some new dialog choice respose that i had not picked before. Also you can spend hours just reading the card catalog in the Phatt island library and laughing yourself silly.

Next would be COMI (holy sequentialisim batman)(note: im not exactly sure if sequentialism is a real word :D ) although I think in some ways this one ties LR for second. This game opened up the series for a lot of new people and really drew more pleople to love the monkey island franchise. It also brought back the insult sword fighting, which for me is a real high point of the series .

Followed by EFMI. I think EFMI gets a bad rap. True,the 3d of the characters are a little poor, but the backgrounds are stunning, and highly detailed. Take the path to the governors mansion for example; The clouds are beautifully done in bill tellers curly cue style, the topiarys are unique and humoruous, even the cliff has a fair bit of detail. Admittably there were a few times when i first played my pc version where i was cursing LEC for not making the game point and click. I think the PS2 port is the better version of the game, as the controls really seem to be better suited to gamepad play. A higher polygon count plus the revised version of Monkey Kombat (which automaticly lists your MK cobinations on a screen that pops up when you hold R2) make the experience a little bit better than when i first played it on PC.

Ultimately all the games tied for first though, because Monkey Island Rocks :D :D :D
BeerDeer

Post by BeerDeer »

I don't vote, I just don't know what game I like the most. Every game has their own world and style, I can not compare them for me.

But 4 is the worst, no doubt about it! I'm nearly praying, that 5 will never be relased, may they ruin it all...
Lechuck

Post by Lechuck »

BeerDeer wrote:I don't vote, I just don't know what game I like the most. Every game has their own world and style, I can not compare them for me.

But 4 is the worst, no doubt about it! I'm nearly praying, that 5 will never be relased, may they ruin it all...
I do hope for a Monkey 5, just because the chance is that they make some change that makes it enjoyable.
Why not bring the old Monkey 1 team back to make the fifth game?
Dennis1989

Post by Dennis1989 »

Lechuck wrote:
BeerDeer wrote:I don't vote, I just don't know what game I like the most. Every game has their own world and style, I can not compare them for me.

I do hope for a Monkey 5, just because the chance is that they make some change that makes it enjoyable.
Why not bring the old Monkey 1 team back to make the fifth game?
I would like 2D-remakes of MI 1+2 that would be totally cool. I voted on MI3 because i loved the 2D animation and the voice of Dominic Armato. (The guy who plays Guybrush)

By the way did you guys know that the name Guybrush comes from Guy.brush. Yes when the animators didn't have a name for him they called him Guy and automaticly it became Guy.brush so they maked it Guybrush. I just wanted to share that with you. :D
Grobo

Post by Grobo »

I think they all are great (yes even Escape...) in their own ways. SMI is SMI, can't get a much better start of a game-series. Great story, great characters, great sense of humor. This was carried across to MI2 but the graphics was improved, story was better, great new characters and everything seemed to fall into place. COMI upgraded the graphics, the audio and in my book, has the best script of them all. I loved COMI, I still call it one of the top 10 games of all time. Then, along came EFMI. This was recieved with VERY mixed feelings by most fans. I think it was an ok game. How can you beat the three first games, really? Alone EFMI is still an awesome game but you have to compare it to the previous titles and then it comes short. What was great about EFMI was the music mostly and I loved seeing a few old faces brought back to the series. Monkey Island in 3D? Well, it was a nice try but unlike Grim Fandango, I really preffered if they kept the 2D.

Rumors always float about a new Grim Fandango or a new Monkey Island. Personally I'd love to see more games in the series, if done right. Doing them wrong would really but the final nail in a genuine "Stan's Used Coffin™"...
Dennis1989

Post by Dennis1989 »

Grobo wrote:I think they all are great (yes even Escape...) in their own ways. SMI is SMI, can't get a much better start of a game-series. Great story, great characters, great sense of humor. This was carried across to MI2 but the graphics was improved, story was better, great new characters and everything seemed to fall into place. COMI upgraded the graphics, the audio and in my book, has the best script of them all. I loved COMI, I still call it one of the top 10 games of all time. Then, along came EFMI. This was recieved with VERY mixed feelings by most fans. I think it was an ok game. How can you beat the three first games, really? Alone EFMI is still an awesome game but you have to compare it to the previous titles and then it comes short. What was great about EFMI was the music mostly and I loved seeing a few old faces brought back to the series. Monkey Island in 3D? Well, it was a nice try but unlike Grim Fandango, I really preffered if they kept the 2D.

Rumors always float about a new Grim Fandango or a new Monkey Island. Personally I'd love to see more games in the series, if done right. Doing them wrong would really but the final nail in a genuine "Stan's Used Coffin™"...
Nice opinion and a great sense of humor with Stan's Used CoffinTM :D
sasa89

Post by sasa89 »

well, monkey island 4 is just...i don't know...i don't like it.

monkey island 3 was my first monkey island-game, i think it's pretty good.

monkey island 1 & 2 are the best.
i voted for monkey1.
the whole game (except the graphics :D ) is perfect.
but monkey2 is awsome too. especially the end is pretty cool
:)
ssdsa

Re: Best Monkey Island Game

Post by ssdsa »

Lechuck wrote:I was a joy to use my old games again, cause I do have the originals :P
Look at my fine collection of Monkey Island: image
It's nice that you tried to prove that you really own copies of all four Monkey Island games -
but how can we be certain that the picture is actually of your games? :wink:

:twisted: