ScummVM 1.5.0 "Picnic Basket" Released

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM 1.5.0 "Picnic Basket" Released

Post by sev »

Little Red Riding Hood looking over at her grandmother's latest install of ScummVM, noting the update to version 1.5.0 and asked "My what a lot of games you now support". "All the better to entertain you with my dear!" responded the curiously grinning relative.

We all love to feast on the most sumptuous of gaming titles and our latest release will fulfil your craving for even more classic point and click adventures.

Version 1.5.0 adds support for Once Upon A Time: Little Red Riding Hood and the following titles:
  • Backyard Baseball 2003
  • Blue Force
  • Darby the Dragon
  • Dreamweb
  • Geisha
  • Gregory and the Hot Air Balloon
  • Magic Tales: Liam Finds a Story
  • Sleeping Cub's Test of Courage
  • Sołtys
  • The Princess and the Crab
As always, there are many more new features; you can find the full list in our release notes and the release itself on our downloads page.

Enjoy and hopefully you won't find the big bad wolf who is sure to give you a byte!
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Very nice to see the support of Dreamweb in an official version, thanks a lot :)

Any idea when a Symbian build is done? Do anotherguest still port to it, or is the OS now considered dead (which wouldn't really surprise me).
Adam

OS X Build Missing

Post by Adam »

Seems that the OS X 1.5.0 build is missing on the download page? Any idea where it's gone?
Ingsoc

Post by Ingsoc »

I've installed the new version and it seem to cause trouble with my Discworld saved games. I run the ScummVM on Windows, the game is the CD Hebrew version, each time I try to open one of my old saved game the game crush and bring me back to Windows, if I try to open a saved game made since the new Scumm release its loaded just fine.

Is the problem the you don't support the old Discworld saved games anymore? or this uncanny to my Discworld version (I suppose the Hebrew one isn't that common)? the saved games for my other games loaded just fine.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Could that have something to do with the change in location for the save games? Out of curiosity, if changing the save game location, why not to the new standard of the "Saved Games" folder directly under the user's folder, i.e. "C:\Users\<Profile_Name>\Saved Games\ScummVM" instead of "%APPDATA%\ScummVM"? The %APPDATA% folder is a hidden folder.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I can't stand that folder, though I guess I understand why so many games use it. Personally, I like all my game files (save games included) to be in the game directories themselves not some annoying-to-navigate-to folder in My Documents or wherever it is. I've hated that for years.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I can't stand that folder, though I guess I understand why so many games use it. Personally, I like all my game files (save games included) to be in the game directories themselves not some annoying-to-navigate-to folder in My Documents or wherever it is. I've hated that for years.
Aye, same here.

If I install a game in X:\Games\GameX then I want the saves to be located in X:\Games\GameX\Saves.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Freddo wrote:If I install a game in X:\Games\GameX then I want the saves to be located in X:\Games\GameX\Saves.
This is an old habit by DOS/Windows/single user systems, I guess. At any rate nowadays even Microsoft suggests to place such files in the user directories.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

LordHoto wrote:This is an old habit by DOS/Windows/single user systems, I guess. At any rate nowadays even Microsoft suggests to place such files in the user directories.
Yeah, I know :) Still find it annoying though! :P
Collector

Post by Collector »

I prefer the game's folder, too, but if ScummVM is going to use the User's folder, %AppData% is a hidden folder. The current standard for save games is in the "Saved Games" folder directly under the User's folder (which is not hidden), not buried in %AppData%.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah. Makes sense, Collector.

I prefer my save games in my game folder because I use my external hard drive for games and it's easier to play on other systems if everything is contained the game folder.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: OS X Build Missing

Post by LordHoto »

Adam wrote:Seems that the OS X 1.5.0 build is missing on the download page? Any idea where it's gone?
The build should be up now. Our porter is on vacation right now, so it took some time ;-).
arf

It seems Google Play/Android Market is still on 1.4.0.

Post by arf »

I am totally new to ScummVM, I stumbled upon it today and I loaded it some minutes ago from Google Play, the version was 1.4.0.
I read here that version 1.5.0 has just been released for several platforms, including Android.

Is the current unavailability of the new version for Android due to vacation as with the iOS one or it just takes time before Google publish/approves new versions (maybe both)?

Please keep up the good work, I can't wait to try some of my old games in my eee Pad, but I think I'll wait until I'll be able to try them on the latest version 1.5.0.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Ingsoc wrote:I've installed the new version and it seem to cause trouble with my Discworld saved games.
Please submit a bugreport. This is exactly why we are requesting to playtest before the release. Since 1.5.0 is released now, then you most probably will have to rollback to 1.4.1 before we fix it in 1.5.1.

And no, it has nothing to do with the default savepath change. If you want the directory to differ from the default, just go to the options->paths->save path

Eugene
Pseudo_Intellectual

Post by Pseudo_Intellectual »

Hats off for the support of the varied new works!