A mad scientist has kidnapped your girlfriend Eve!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

A mad scientist has kidnapped your girlfriend Eve!

Post by DrMcCoy »

Traveling to Tokyo, you begin your search. But time is running out, because the mad scientist is about to transform her into a cyborg-Geisha...

So, be quick and grab the latest daily build of ScummVM together with your copy of Geisha. Report all bugs to our bug tracker and submit screenshots of the game to our patch tracker, following the bug submission guidelines and screenshot guidelines.
Truus999

Post by Truus999 »

Thx Doc!

I'll make some time to replay this!

Cheers,
René
gsm

Post by gsm »

Out of all the adventure games not yet suppored by ScummVM... A collection of erotic minigames? Really?

Oh well, gotta finish the Coktel Vision gob engine support I guess. I'm still holding out hope for John Doe's work on Core's Universe game engine to go somewhere. Even better would be if ScummVM somehow fixed the awful pathfinding that gets you stuck in walls all the time.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

gsm wrote:Out of all the adventure games not yet suppored by ScummVM... A collection of erotic minigames? Really?
I don't see you working on anything.
gsm

Post by gsm »

Hey, if you'll accept compliments from people who aren't working on the project, you might as well accept their criticism too. Especially if it's mild eye-rolling and a small sigh. :wink:
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

If you can't say anything nice, what's the point? It's not really helsing is it? Either do something about it yourself or keep on walking.

After all, you should be thankful people are willing to work on ScummVM for FREE in the first place.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Before you start "rolling your eyes", you might want to remember how ScummVM is developed. There are several people contributing to the project. They are working on it in their spare time. Not everyone works on every engine under development in ScummVM. No one is going to use their time working on an engine they do not care about just because it your own personal favorite. The Coktel Vision games are DrMcCoy's specialty. I don't know how much extra work was required to add Geisha, but I suspect that he had already done some of the work from adding other Coktel Vision games.

Your response implies that you feel all of the ScummVM devs should drop what they are doing just add your favorite.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Collector wrote:I don't know how much extra work was required to add Geisha, but I suspect that he had already done some of the work from adding other Coktel Vision games.
Yeah, most of the game was already working due to previous work on the engine.

What's left was
a) Some small investigation work that the game used only a 16 colour palette and a tiny difference in the hotspot code
b) Loading/Saving
c) Two hard-coded minigames ("Diving" and "Penetration")
d) The MDY AdLib music player

a) and b) was a matter of maybe two hours
c) was a bit more work, but mostly easy
d) Was optional since the game also has a PCM-based alternative

Thus, it was kind of a low-hanging fruit to begin with.
I've personally never played Geisha during my childhood (or teen years), so I have no emotional attachment to it, but it's still nice to cross it off my TODO list, and have it preserved this way in ScummVM for people who do remember it fondly from their past.

And since I just love AdLib music, I did d) anyway. The MDY music is also used in Fascination and there's a MDY track in the EGA versions of Gobliiins I could enable this way too.

Also, I've now found out that the MDY format is in actuality AdLib's own MUS format which was used in other games too, it might just be that this code can be reused for other ScummVM games in the future.

Also also, Collector is of course correct that my area of expertise within ScummVM is mostly the Gob engine, so that's naturally what I'm most likely to do.

Therefore, gsm's sense of entitlement is not only douchy, but also completely misplaced.

Not that I should have to justify myself for spending my own personal free time to scratch this particular itch instead of doing what some random guy on the internet wants me to do.
It's a Gob game, I want it supported in ScummVM, so I make that happen. If you don't like it, screw you; I don't care about you, I don't care about what you want, I don't care about your precious little hopes and dreams.
gsm

Post by gsm »

Shucks, y'all being a bit oversensitive.

I totally support "finishing the Coktel Vision gob engine support" and I said as much in my post. Even if it's a kind of silly and slightly uncomfortable part of Coktel Vision's history, it's still history worth preserving. You're doing a good job, okay? Here, let me buy you a beer.

I'm sorry I even brought up the Universe game. I had just been checking John Doe's blog again before reading about the new engine release, so it was on my mind. That was a mistake. After looking around some more, I realize I should have found some topic in the Junkyard to talk about it.

DrMcCoy, that's a super-interesting post with all kinds of neat technical details about your engine area of expertise. I love reading that stuff. The dev blogs are at least as interesting as the games themselves, if not more so! It pains me to no end that it's also a post calling me a jerk. This post probably won't change your mind on that, but I think you're awesome for making it possible for me to introduce a friend to the Goblins series by installing ScummVM on his Wii. I thank you for that.