Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter Campaign

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jdrive

Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter Campaign

Post by Jdrive »

Hi

Surprised I didn't see this mentioned here, maybe my search skills are lacking considering this is only my 2nd post (and LSL related too rofl). Al Lowe, Paul Trowe, Josh Mandel are involved in trying to reboot so to speak the LSL series. They have been given a license to remake only the first game, and if thats a success then they will have more freedome with the license to remake the other games, or new games.

So yes, this is essentially a "HD" remake of LSL in the land of the lounge lizards, however if they exceed their kickstarter goal they will add more room/puzzles/girls etc to the game.

Currently has $368Kish of $500k with a fortnight to go, so spread the word, this campaign hasn't had quite the media attention nor explosive funding that recent successes on kickestarted like the DoubleFine adventure, wasteland 2 or Shadowrun had/are having, but I think it's important to see it funded and it will hopefully lead to more games from Lowe.

Usual kickstarter video game fare right now - $15 for the game (digital), $30 for game + OST, $40 for game + OST + Tshirt etc etc... up to expensive tiers to be in the game or to go meet al etc.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lei ... come-again
dag

Post by dag »

Aye, and unfortunately Al Lowe isn't getting quite as good a response as Tim Schafer did on his kickstarter, so we need to help him out! There's only a few more days left.. I just upped my pledge from 55 to 75 dollars.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter Campaign

Post by dreammaster »

Jdrive wrote:Currently has $368Kish of $500k with a fortnight to go, so spread the word, this campaign hasn't had quite the media attention nor explosive funding that recent successes on kickestarted like the DoubleFine adventure, wasteland 2 or Shadowrun had/are having, but I think it's important to see it funded and it will hopefully lead to more games from Lowe.
Well, the good news is that the game is now funded - they're already up to $517,000. The next, and likely only extra milestone they'd like to reach (given there's only 6 days left), is $570,000, at which point they've committed to fleshing out the game with new story elements.
KuroShiro

Re: Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter Campaign

Post by KuroShiro »

dreammaster wrote: Well, the good news is that the game is now funded - they're already up to $517,000. The next, and likely only extra milestone they'd like to reach (given there's only 6 days left), is $570,000, at which point they've committed to fleshing out the game with new story elements.
Actually it's 750k :P
They probably won't reach that high an amount, but hopefully they do get enough to add some more meat (hur hur hur) and extra content to the game.
nutron

Post by nutron »

I originally pledged $100 to the project, but after the announcement of the new stretch goal I pulled my pledge. Why?

They suggested that a Linux version was a possibility if the project got funded, it looks like they completely overlooked what the people asked for.

They ran a survey and the "Which platform will you play on" question has a Linux option. It's the second largest set of votes, after Windows.

The whole thing feels unorganized and amateurish. Call me a zealot, but meh. I'll buy it if it's ever ported to Linux.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

They took an informal vote on the forums of the campaign to see what people wanted if the project funded and secondary additions were to be made. The over whelming response was for extra content, not a linux port.

It's not their fault a small percentage of the overall community doesn't give a crap about linux. And honestly, your $100 doesn't change anything. This whole kickstarter thing seems to make people think their contribution is more important than it actually is. Most of these campaigns are going to get made anyways, this is just a way to preorder and have a very small amount of input and a bit of a window into the design process.

Yesterday a kickstarter for an hd remaster of the sherlock holmes consulting detective series failed, and that just means the project will take longer than before. Either way, I'll end up paying the same amount for the game when it comes out as I had pledged to the campaign.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Not to denigrate anyone, but I have noticed a lot of whining on many boards about the various Kickstarter projects when it looks like it is not going to be exactly as they want. On Adventure Gamers there is someone that is complaining because things mentioned that could be added over what was initially announced if they got x number of dollars over and above the goal. He kept insisting that these were features that were being held hostage unless Replay's demands were not met. He refused to accept the adding more content would cost more to develop, even when the facts were explained to him by Josh Mandel.

You expect this for more mainstream modern games as many of the users are, well... young, but most that would be funding Al Lowe on Kickstarter I would have expected to have more maturity.
nutron

Post by nutron »

scoriae wrote:They took an informal vote on the forums of the campaign to see what people wanted if the project funded and secondary additions were to be made. The over whelming response was for extra content, not a linux port.

It's not their fault a small percentage of the overall community doesn't give a crap about linux. And honestly, your $100 doesn't change anything. This whole kickstarter thing seems to make people think their contribution is more important than it actually is. Most of these campaigns are going to get made anyways, this is just a way to preorder and have a very small amount of input and a bit of a window into the design process.

Yesterday a kickstarter for an hd remaster of the sherlock holmes consulting detective series failed, and that just means the project will take longer than before. Either way, I'll end up paying the same amount for the game when it comes out as I had pledged to the campaign.
You know. You're right, yes indeed. One of the five questions they asked their community was asking what to do when the goal was surpassed. Overwhelming response was extra content. Yep. Pardon me. The other four questions were simply there as filler.

I agree with your overall summation, all for one point. What do you mean that I won't be the one calling the shots with my measly pledges? Supporting the other projects out there was clearly a ticket to dictate what I want them to do! I must protest!

I stated what I did with my vote. (You know... with my worthless money) I withdrew my support and stated my reasons.

I wish them well.
nutron

Post by nutron »

Collector wrote:Not to denigrate anyone, but I have noticed a lot of whining on many boards about the various Kickstarter projects when it looks like it is not going to be exactly as they want. On Adventure Gamers there is someone that is complaining because things mentioned that could be added over what was initially announced if they got x number of dollars over and above the goal. He kept insisting that these were features that were being held hostage unless Replay's demands were not met. He refused to accept the adding more content would cost more to develop, even when the facts were explained to him by Josh Mandel.

You expect this for more mainstream modern games as many of the users are, well... young, but most that would be funding Al Lowe on Kickstarter I would have expected to have more maturity.
Indeed, I am being a whiner!

I don't understand the blind trust that goes into these projects at times. I can't support a project if I would never be able to play the game, I guess I should have kept that all to myself. To be clear, I made the above post based on the pretenses that the FAQ suggested a Linux version would be looked at after funding was successful, and also based on personal messages exchanged between Paul T. and myself. I think that the real reason that they're leaving the Linux platform behind is due to the Unity engine not providing support for Linux.

Unfortunate.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

The way I understand it is that kickstarter is basically a donation. It is not a contract or a purchase or anything like that.
They can take all of your money and deliver nothing.
You're buying promises with no guarantee of delivery.
I like hope and promises and so I will continue to donate.

It is all based on good faith. The fact that you can withdraw your donation is cool.
I hope all of the kickstarter projects I donated to are awesome and successful but I am not holding my breath.

Tim Schafer created a bubble. Hopefully it doesn't burst anytime soon.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

tsoliman wrote: Tim Schafer created a bubble. Hopefully it doesn't burst anytime soon.
I think a better metaphor is he blew up a balloon, and it's slowly blowing its air out as it flies around the room. :P
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

nutron wrote:To be clear, I made the above post based on the pretenses that the FAQ suggested a Linux version would be looked at after funding was successful.
Keyword, "looked at". There was never an inherent promise, nor should you back a project in the first place if you they don't have the version you need right up front.

I for example would not back a project for the iOS when I have an android phone, even if the outline stated an android/pc version *could* be a possibility down the line.

As far as what your $100 earns you in regards to "your voice"? It gave you a chance to vote in the forums for what you wanted them to do with extra money. When you have thousands of backers on one project, each vote is a very small part of the overall picture. You voted for linux, you didn't get it, and you left. That is perfectly fine. Many others however saw the possibility for extra content and raised their pledges.
Jdrive

Post by Jdrive »

KuroShiro wrote:
tsoliman wrote: Tim Schafer created a bubble. Hopefully it doesn't burst anytime soon.
I think a better metaphor is he blew up a balloon, and it's slowly blowing its air out as it flies around the room. :P
Lol, nice.

Looks like they are up to $625k now, another $25k in 18 hours to get extra content... I find it hard to believe there will be another $25k worth of pledges, but fingers crossed. You would hope that even if they reach $630k or even $645k or something that they would just generate the extra content anyway. I can't imagine that gap would hinder the ability to do that.

what I really wonder is that now they have sold all these pre-orders... will they actually sell many copies of the retail game itself? Maybe steam sales and $5 copies will explode ;-) I can't imagine them being able to charge much more than $30 for this game when it comes out...
Buddha
ScummVM Developer

Post by Buddha »

They ended up with $673,927 total
($655,182 from the Kickstarter pledges + $18,745 from Paypal pledges).

So, yes, we *are* getting a new girl to the Larry 1 HD remake! Yay! :)

Here's the "Thank you from Paul, Al, Josh and the rest of the Leisure Suit Larry 1 Kickstarter Program!"-video.