Two Guys From Andromeda are back!!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scoriae

Post by scoriae »

The fact there is no details what-so-ever about the game may be making people gun shy.

I would gladly back it for $150 or so if it was a space quest game.

A random game by them though? I think I only went to the $50 level.

Activision is friggin retarded not giving out the licenses for the sierra games on these things. As it stands they make ZERO money sitting on them, and they have done nothing to cultivate worth with them. Having the original designers back and allowing them get a publicly funded release removes all the risk of publishing something themselves, so they only make money on the deal.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

scoriae wrote:The fact there is no details what-so-ever about the game may be making people gun shy.
I don't know if that's it. How many details did Tim Schafer give out? None. Went several hundred percent over goal. Al Lowe? Everything. It's a Larry 1 remake. Got just a little bit over goal. So I don't think how much detail is given out is the most important thing.

Tim was the first out of the gate and the others followed in his wake because they saw it could be a successful way to get funding, but the shine quickly wore off. And, like I said, they're tapping the same category of people who were the little old ladies to Tim's Max Bialystock, and Tim got to them first.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Doublefine were first and Tim/Ron have maintained a presence in gaming unlike the two guys since their "golden" days at Sierra.

I didn't like the pitch and so didn't and still don't feel any inclination to pledge. Odd that even though I didn't back Pinkerton Road at the outset (it was a complete train wreck of a Kickstarter to start with) but did so near the end as they turned it around.

The prototypes being limited to Chrome, no details on the game, odd reward tiers, a little more expensive than who they are competing with, etc. all go towards this one being lumped in to the "I just can't see this one being worthwhile".

Edit: missed out the italic bits above!
Last edited by Reckless on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I think that the Chrome only prototypes were damaging. Instead of backing off, some became more obsessed with pushing their bias to Chrome's implementation of HTML5 than promoting the 2 Guy's Kickstarter. Justly or not, it aliened potential pledgers.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

It was a very strange decision to provide a demo using that as a technology when in reality they were not definitely going to use it in the final version. Or were they but saw negative reaction so distanced themselves from it?

Sad but at this point I don't even wish them any sort of luck (good or bad).
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Latest prototype notes:
Safari

Plays great in Safari, but at this time, does not have sound.
You can play Phase 3 in Safari

Firefox

Plays in Firefox, but at this time, does not have sound.
Animations are a bit slower at this time
Performance has not yet been optimized, but this will improve

Chrome

Chrome Web Store
We’ve also added a new loading feature to allow it to play on a hosted server without the web store if you’d prefer.
I'm still confused... does the bold bit above suggest that this will really be a browser based game? If it isn't then what's the point spending the effort?!
Collector

Post by Collector »

As I said, this push by the Chrome zealots is overshadowing SpaceVenture. The 2GAs have stated that the game will not be HTML5, but that does not end the speculation based on these prototypes. Their argument for being a good answer to make it cross platform, but having only work right in Chrome's implementation is a bit like justifying developing something in Java, but having only work in one platform's implementation of the runtime.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Reckless wrote:I'm still confused... does the bold bit above suggest that this will really be a browser based game?
No. You'll have to go through the Kickstarter updates yourself (because I won't do it for you) to verify what I'm saying, but they do say that the game they intend to make won't be browser-based. These browser things are just "rewards" for each time $100,000 mark is passed.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Some of the zuper fans of this kickstarter now seem to believe that this drama with Paul Trowe @ Replay and the Wisecrack guys doing Sam Suede is causing lost pledges...

As retarded as that situation is, I just don't see it affecting SpaceVenture at all.

To reply to my last comment, the different with Tim Schafer's is he has a great track record and as mentioned, he has stayed active.

These guys are ONLY known for Space Quest, which they don't have the rights too. So instead of making another space game, they really should have just gone into something new. Otherwise it never crawls out of the shadow of space quest.

That would be like Schafer and Gilbert making a pirate comedy game called Monkey Peninsula staring Frythrush Greasewood.

I sincerely doubt they would have garnered as much excitement or pledges with that.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

MeddlingMonk wrote:but they do say that the game they intend to make won't be browser-based. These browser things are just "rewards" for each time $100,000 mark is passed.
Yes, I've seen that. I just don't get the statements in the prototype release notes referring to improvements as time goes on. Quite frankly I would consider the prototypes a waste of effort if the final product is not using the prototype technology. "Everyone" knows what a point & click adventure game is so the only purpose is to preview the technology. Thus, I'll go out on a limb and state that the game will use browser technology (based on Webkit) but not be based in a browser; something like this. If this is the case why not just say so as it would almost certainly clear up any FUD regarding browsers.
You'll have to go through the Kickstarter updates yourself (because I won't do it for you) to verify what I'm saying
If you're a backer of this project then I'm stunned by the response. If you're not a backer then I hope you don't end up in a job with sales ;)
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

What am I supposed to do? Spoon feed you what can be found on the Internet when you obviously have an Internet connection and have demonstrated the ability to use it?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

In a word, yes. We need all the help we can get to get this Kickstarter funded! If that means spoonfeeding potential backers then so be it! :P

In other news, some fans from SpaceQuest.Net got together and in 3 days put together a little one-room adventure game called Pledge Quest to raise awareness and promote funding 2GFA's SpaceVenture. It's a fun little game made out of love and a desire to see SpaceVenture succeed on Kickstarter! Play it! Have some fun! Credits music by yours truly as well. :)

Pledge Quest!
Pledge Quest! (Linux)

An article about it on Gaming Blend: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Pledge ... 43322.html

5 days left at just over 70%! There's still time to get this thing over the edge! Bring back great adventures! Help this game! You'll be awesome if you do. Promise.
disconnectD

Just 3 days left for the SpaceVenture Kickstarter!

Post by disconnectD »

Hi there, I just wanted to give everyone an update on the SpaceVenture Kickstarter by the Creators of Space Quest:

We are currently hovering at 420k and need 80k to seal the deal but there is only 71 hours left so if ever any of you guys and gals were on the fence about Joining the cause for Andromeda, now would be the time!

Tons of awesome stuff even in the 30 dollar tier but the real meat is about 125 *Buckazoids come to mind* Of course, ANY amount at all that you pledge will mean the world to us. We love our $15 backers to pieces , after all!

Be a part of bringing this classic game developing duo from the Gold age of SIERRA back to the forefront to join their pals!

Thanks a lot and hopefully we'll see you on the comments page!

EDIT: Have some new stuff to whet your appetite!

Official Press release and animated powerpoint presentation for The Two Guys from

Andromeda's SpaceVenture Starring Ace Hardway, Intergalactic Plumber: CHECK THIS OUT for all

the info you need to know about The Two Guys, their new game and more importantly their new

company! FUNDED BY YOU!

http://guysfromandromeda.com/wp-content ... se_1.5.pps <

Powerpoint

http://guysfromandromeda.com/wp-content ... PDF1.5.pdf

Oh look! A Video interview with Ellen GLaDOS Mclain, herself:

*By the way: It has been strongly hinted at by Mark that Ellen will in fact be voicing Rooter, Ace's robotic dog/toolbox!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ndC1f47YQ

& finally:

Introducing the official Two Guys from Andromeda REDDIT AMA!!!

Some info about content in the game to be had here
SpaceVenture:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/u ... urphy_and/
disconnectD

Post by disconnectD »

Okay: What we've all been waiting for is here!

Introducing an EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW With none of than The man with the Golden pipes, himself: GARY OWENS!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk5Er0q- ... e=youtu.be

This was posted on the Kickstarter page by Warbird Games: ''This is my tribute to Space Quest. Please share it with people who've forgotten all the great times they had in the twisted universe of Scott and Mark: youtu.be/j4qMKZzLebM?a''

Check it out and share it with everyone because it's a great reminder of why we all liked or like Space Quest and the Two Guys!

Also: 50k to go boys and girls, if you can up your pledge, please do! If not, thank you for backing in the first place and you've been a real pantload!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

$33,168 left now!

The Gary Owens interview was fantastic, by the way. Great stuff. He's a very nice guy. Had some cool stories to share.