Eye of the Beholder

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PsyCrow

Eye of the Beholder

Post by PsyCrow »

I was excited to try out the addition of Eye of the Beholder I & II and was amazed at the current progress. Thanks.

Does the SegaCD version of the game use the same engine as the DOS version?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Eye of the Beholder

Post by LordHoto »

PsyCrow wrote:Does the SegaCD version of the game use the same engine as the DOS version?
Not as far as we know. EDIT: I also think no developer working on EoB has the SegaCD version, so it's hard to verify whether it's really using a different engine.
Tobis87

Post by Tobis87 »

The unreleased 32-Bit engine of Eye of the Beholder 3 was released some time ago by the developer to the public domain:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=20601
I own the copyright to the AESOP package itself, and as far as
I'm concerned, it can be considered public-domain. You can do
anything you want with it, forward it to Michael, post it online,
upload it to a warez site, whatever. Happy I did remove the
runtime interpreter code, though, because it would be way too
much work to separate my own code from the parts that are owned
by SSI's corporate heirs.

-- john
I hope this helps to add an EoB3 engine, even if it wouldn't be officially supported.
alpeyn

Post by alpeyn »

i was waiting for this to come out for awhile too so i was really excited to try it out when it was out in the market. i am enjoying the game so far and i am very satisfied with it hopefully they can also come out with other versions so that i can also use it on my other gadgets too, hoping for an update on this
balpat

Post by balpat »

I wanted to ask if some additional features like Automapping might be possible?

There's an unofficial Amiga AGA port of Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2, which features automap.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

balpat wrote:I wanted to ask if some additional features like Automapping might be possible?
The engine team decided that it does not want to add such a feature.
LambdaCalculus37

Post by LambdaCalculus37 »

LordHoto wrote:
PsyCrow wrote:Does the SegaCD version of the game use the same engine as the DOS version?
Not as far as we know. EDIT: I also think no developer working on EoB has the SegaCD version, so it's hard to verify whether it's really using a different engine.
I'm not a ScummVM developer, but I do have a copy of the Sega CD Eye of the Beholder that I can help pull apart and look into.

I'd like to see support for the Sega CD version in ScummVM myself. It's probably (IMHO) one of the best versions of the game to date.
athrxx
ScummVM Developer

Post by athrxx »

LambdaCalculus37 wrote:
LordHoto wrote:
I'm not a ScummVM developer, but I do have a copy of the Sega CD Eye of the Beholder that I can help pull apart and look into.

I'd like to see support for the Sega CD version in ScummVM myself. It's probably (IMHO) one of the best versions of the game to date.

At the moment we haven't even announced support for the DOS version yet (should happen sooner or later after the upcoming release). We do plan to add support for other game versions. But this is going to take some more time.