Beneath A Steel Sky Enhanced Music Released by JamesWoodcock

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

sirdeiu wrote:Hello there.
I've build Scummvm from Git(Kubuntu 11.10 - x86_64), version 1.5.0git. Got BASS Cd version (from Scummvm Extras) loaded into Scummvm - set the needed audio options ("Now select [Edit Game], switch to Audio tab, tick the ‘Overide Global Audio Settings’ and set Sample Rate to 44kHz." - Both that and global Audio Options).

No enhanced music working. Can't hear the new music. Any ideas why ?
In which scene does this occur? Note that there is no music during the first part of the intro in the CD version
sirdeiu

Post by sirdeiu »

Right at the beginning of the game, when you get the crowbar to open the door. Exactly like the beginning of the youtube movie that mr. Woodcock has on his website to demo the music package.

EDIT: Ok got back home from work, had another go at it. Seems I lacked Vorbis support on the first compile/run. After compiling it again, double checking the features (scummvm -v) I now have:

ScummVM 1.5.0git812-gc451bd4 ( Nov 25 2011 18:03:08 )
Features compiled in: Vorbis ALSA SEQ TiMidity RGB zLib

And the game works now with the lovely new music from mr. James Woodcock. So thanks mr. James.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Glad you are sorted :)
Sid Vicious

Post by Sid Vicious »

Got the same problem. Extracted music to BASS directory, but it didn't work.

I have Scumm VM 1.4.0 for Windows with voribs compilled in...
quimico

Post by quimico »

Sid Vicious wrote:Got the same problem. Extracted music to BASS directory, but it didn't work.

Hi, first of all thank you James for the lovely music, this really enhances the whole experience of playing this game.
On the technical side I have a similar problem with the music. I've got an Auzentech sound card, same chipset as Creatives, and 5.1 Creative speakers and decoder. The problem I've got is that if I select optical in my decoder I heard the FX sound but no music, and if I select analogic then I got the music but no FX sounds. Apparently I can not get both at the same time but I'm not sure if it's a bad config of the settings at ScummVM, or a limitation or what. Hope you can help 8)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Sid Vicious wrote:Got the same problem. Extracted music to BASS directory, but it didn't work.

If you read carefully the instructions on James' website you will see the following sentence:
Make sure you have the latest daily build of ScummVM from their website or version 1.4.1 or later (when it is released).
which basically means ScummVM 1.4.0 does not support the enhanced soundtrack.
quimico

Post by quimico »

criezy wrote:

If you read carefully the instructions on James' website you will see the following sentence:
Make sure you have the latest daily build of ScummVM from their website or version 1.4.1 or later (when it is released).
which basically means ScummVM 1.4.0 does not support the enhanced soundtrack.
I hate you, you are right :P :P :P With the latest build both music and FX works perfect. Cheers m8 8)
Sid Vicious

Post by Sid Vicious »

I think I found what I need.
And thank you, Mr. James. It sounds perfectly.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

My Beneath A Steel Sky Enhanced Soundtrack Updated – Version 1.1 Released for ScummVM:

http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/2012/02/ ... r-scummvm/
raina

Post by raina »

Nice. I was just tagging and listening to 1.0 the other night. Is there a chance of a FLAC version? If bandwidth is an issue, I, and probably a dozen others would gladly mirror it. Or better yet, put it on one of those legal torrent sites.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Sorry but a FLAC release isn't in my plans for the moment at least.
Londonist

Post by Londonist »

Hi James. Thank you for your enhanced version of this great soundtrack. I've been listening to it for a while. Even though it's very faithful to the original, I've found a small issue:

Tracks

music404 (bar music)
music405 (bar music)
music601 (LINK world, 1:03 onwards)

The piano you're using there, maybe it should sound more like a Rhodes electric piano. Here's how a Rhodes piano is supposed to sound like (for me that's definitely how Dave Cummins meant it to sound):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWgLaD7 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Zom0wP ... re=related

I hope you consider this and give it a go. That would be the icing on the cake for this great soundtrack.

Cheers :D
nilsbyte

Post by nilsbyte »

this game kicks ass! very athmospheric. i wished there was a sequel.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

nilsbyte wrote:this game kicks ass! very athmospheric. i wished there was a sequel.
There have been some rumors, like this article, that a Beneath a Steel Sky sequel will happen. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.