Beneath A Steel Sky Enhanced Music Released by JamesWoodcock

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Beneath A Steel Sky Enhanced Music Released by JamesWoodcock

Post by sev »

The developers of ScummVM are pleased to announce that as of today, the classic game Beneath A Steel Sky has full support for James Woodcock's Music Enhancement Project within the latest daily build. The project started way back in January 2006 as James Woodcock committed himself to use the original MIDI files from various Point and Click Adventure titles, creating enhanced versions using modern MIDI equipment. He has already released the Simon the Sorcerer, Discworld and Inherit the Earth versions and can now add Beneath A Steel Sky to his completion list:

"I have tried very hard to remain faithful to the originals in respect to the excellent composers creations..." says James Woodcock, creator of the ScummVM Music Enhancement Project. He continues "...There has been a lot of support and interest from Beneath A Steel Sky fans, who have been monitoring its progress very carefully and it is with great pleasure I can finally play Beneath A Steel Sky using new versions of the original soundtrack with many thanks to the developers of ScummVM for all their hard work in making this feature possible"

James uses the Yamaha Tyros4 keyboard hooked up to his computer via USB and after going through various tweaking, recording and editing, a finalised music track is born.

You can download the enhanced soundtrack from James' Beneath A Steel Sky page, where instructions are also included. You can follow and show your support for James on both Twitter and Facebook.
Last edited by sev on Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Hope everyone enjoys it :)
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Wow! Since 2006, eh? It's been a long time coming... I've enjoyed your Enhanced Soundtracks to both Simon the Sorcerer and Discworld, so I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Excellent news and keep up the great work!
JenniBee

Post by JenniBee »

James Woodcock, all I have to say is wow! Thank you so much for this! :) I just played through Beneath a Steel Sky with your enhanced soundtrack, and it makes an already excellent experience so much better!

I never tried any of your other enhanced soundtracks but the quality of the music in this makes me want to try more. I only own half of the games you have music for, but I do have Simon the Sorcerer. So I'm going to try that one next. 8)
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

Great works, thank you very much!!
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Glad you are enjoying it :) Lovely comments thank you!
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Since you first announced the soundtrack I held back my next playthrough of the game. Unfortunately now that it is here I can't devote any time to it. However, I played some minutes into the game and this is definitely the best version there ever was of this game. Great soundtrack. The only thing missing for me now is the additional content found in the remastered iPhone version of the game.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Excellent work, James!
PS - though i tryed BASS with alternative intro (from floppy version, my favorite) and there was no enchanced music in introduction :roll:
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

KainXVIII wrote:Excellent work, James!
PS - though i tryed BASS with alternative intro (from floppy version, my favorite) and there was no enchanced music in introduction :roll:
Just had a chat with a couple of ScummVM developers and as a result:

" Alyssa Milburn master * r0599145 / engines/sky/music/musicbase.cpp : SKY: Map the floppy intro track. - http://git.io/mOQf9w "

Fix should be available in the next daily build - the track is in my soundtrack already completed but it wasn't calling it in the Floppy version.

:)
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Wow, thanx :D
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

James Woodcock rocks.

I've never played through this game and I believe it's still offered freely on the net.

Can't wait to try this and it will definitely be next on my list. :)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Smothermunchie wrote:I've never played through this game and I believe it's still offered freely on the net.
It is actually available on the ScummVM project download page: http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#extras
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

^ Thanks. :)
koima57

Post by koima57 »

Hi, thanks for the news and the hard work. I can't try yet for Beneath a Steel Sky as i wait a stable release to support it soon hopefully, i had a bad experience with a daily build in the past.

But i am now enjoying Discworld enhanced soundtrack and am blown! Will donate some soon hearing such quality. Thanks so much!!
sirdeiu

Post by sirdeiu »

Hello there.
I've build Scummvm from Git(Kubuntu 11.10 - x86_64), version 1.5.0git. Got BASS Cd version (from Scummvm Extras) loaded into Scummvm - set the needed audio options ("Now select [Edit Game], switch to Audio tab, tick the ‘Overide Global Audio Settings’ and set Sample Rate to 44kHz." - Both that and global Audio Options).

No enhanced music working. Can't hear the new music. Any ideas why ?