Spy Fox dubs?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muncher666

Spy Fox dubs?

Post by Muncher666 »

Hey guys,

I used to play the Spy Fox games when I was a teenager (yes, I played any adventure games I could get my hands on) - and now I picked up a couple of them off eBay for my 5 year old. The oddity I'm having is - I remember playing Spy Fox 1 and it having british voices (or fake british voices) for the dub, whereas the version I seem to have has american voices. Are there separate dubs for all of the Spy Fox games? Or only the first one?

Allan.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

It depends on where you live. If you live in England, then the British is more common, but The American also came out there. If you live in America, then the American version is more common, but the British version was released there too by accident.
Retrodude

Post by Retrodude »

gregsanimation wrote:It depends on where you live. If you live in England, then the British is more common, but The American also came out there. If you live in America, then the American version is more common, but the British version was released there too by accident.
In addition, the version with American voices is the original version, while the British voices were meant for audiences in the UK. The differences between these versions are mostly minor edits in words so that they would make sense to a British kid with little exposure to American culture, i.e. shopping cart becomes shopping trolley, pants becomes trousers. Many of the voices are vastly different, and the references to the White House and the President were, of course, changed to Parliament and the Prime Minister.
Both versions have their strengths and weaknesses. But if you really want to hear the British voices, the 2003 re-release in America of Dry Cereal would work. You'll likely have a tougher time finding the sequels in British English, though.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Little exposure to American culture!? Is that even possible?