Island of dr. Brain and Larry 5 cd version differences?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Island of dr. Brain and Larry 5 cd version differences?

Post by Longcat »

Hi. I noticed mobygames has pictures of cd versions of both Thr Island of Dr Brain and Larry 5. Does anyone know if these are any different than their floppy versions? If you own one of these, I would be grateful if you could provide me with the version number:)

I'm betting Collector is able to answer this one.

Thanx in advance.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

There was also LSL1VGA. I think they were just the floppy versions consolidated on a CD-ROM. Collector can certainly confirm if that's true, though.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Thanks for the reply:) I'm thinking they are probably the same to, but I'm trying to get hold of the latest/"best" version released of each Sierra game, so knowing for sure would be nice.

Keep the answers coming!
Collector

Post by Collector »

They are the same. Same version numbers, same MD5s of the main resource files. Dr. Brain 2 is just a dump of the contents of the floppy onto CD. LSL5 is too, but has extra content. I cannot say about LSL1VGA since I don't have the CD version of it to compare, but I always assumed that they were the same.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Oh, great, than you so much for the reply! You've been most helpful:)
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

never knew there were LSL5 CD version, especially Island of Dr. Brain. The only CD version available are LSL6, LSL7, and LSL collection/anthology which basically all collection of past LSL games exactly like their floppy counterpart.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

There's a picture of it on mobygames methinks:)
PsyCrow

Post by PsyCrow »

Hoyle Official Book Of Games Vol 3 also had a CD release. The packaging titled it as Hoyle Classic Board Games but it's really the same game. It appears to be the floppy version put on a CD. Both show as the same version in ScummVM.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

I'm pretty sure there are no cd talkie version for both games. As for compilation, that's a different matter.
I own majority of Sierra software and I'm pretty sure about that.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

They're not talkies, no. But CD versions do exist. As was mentioned, they are merely the contents of their respective floppy disks consolidated on one CD. They aren't any different or special like KQ5, SQ4, PQ4, etc.