ScummVM frontend/launcher?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

garbanzo

ScummVM frontend/launcher?

Post by garbanzo »

Does such a thing exist?

Since ScummVM supports a finite list of games, there could be a wonderful frontend for it, complete with a database full of tasty info about each game (year, platform, media, publisher, developer, genre, etc), plus screenshots, box scans, media scans etc. Something like MAMEUI for arcade games or GameBase for console emulation.

Maybe I'm just dreaming :wink:
athrxx
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM frontend/launcher?

Post by athrxx »

garbanzo wrote:Does such a thing exist?

Since ScummVM supports a finite list of games, there could be a wonderful frontend for it, complete with a database full of tasty info about each game (year, platform, media, publisher, developer, genre, etc), plus screenshots, box scans, media scans etc. Something like MAMEUI for arcade games or GameBase for console emulation.

Maybe I'm just dreaming :wink:

D-Fend Reloaded is supposed to support ScummVM (haven't tried it myself). And it shouldn't be too hard to find something with google (try "scummvm frontend" :-) ).
garbanzo

Post by garbanzo »

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried D-Fend Reloaded, I can't get a single game to launch. I've also googled quite a lot without much luck.

I've managed to get QuickPlay to launch games, but only by manually creating shortcuts and importing them. Not ideal...
circletheory

Post by circletheory »

Frankly, the native guy font end works great IMO. However, if you want a customizable front end, look no farther than Hyperspin. You can add movie previews, poster artwork, everything.
garbanzo

Post by garbanzo »

Hyperspin is really the opposite of what I want. It looks beautiful, but it's not terribly useful...

As for the built-in GUI, all it does is launches games. It offers zero organizational features. No sorting by date, genre, publisher... No linking to manuals or other supporting documents...

I guess I'll just be sticking with my QuickPlay method. Thanks!
balpat

Post by balpat »

While I think the built in GUI is good, I do agree that some additional features would be welcome.

Like screenshots, maybe a cool icon, some additional information (since you only support a limited set of games, you wouldn't even need a feature to get these infos from mobygames) and, yes, a way to implement documents (like manuals) would we awesome - especially, of course, if we could access these links within the game (i.e. by the CTRL-F5 menu).

Still, I like the current GUI but some additional features would be nice, once you have some free time and resources.