win32 daily build

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

OmerMor
Got a warning

win32 daily build

Post by OmerMor »

I noticed the win32 daily builds now come in an archive (instead of an installer), and are > 40MB in size.

What's the reason for the change?
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

Can a dev please reply here?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

OmerMor wrote:Can a dev please reply here?
The current Win32 build from buildbot is 7.8 MB for me.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The debug symbols that were included were huge. This has been fixed now (there was a relevant discussion on -devel)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

md5 wrote:The debug symbols that were included were huge. This has been fixed now (there was a relevant discussion on -devel)
Let's rather say it has been changed now. All the buildbot builds included debug symbols on purpose so it's easier to aid developers with backtraces in case of crashes etc. Since there seems to be no common way of retrieving those on plain Windows the debug symbols are stripped now.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

Thanks for clearing that up.
What about the move from an installer to an archive?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

OmerMor wrote:What about the move from an installer to an archive?
I too would be interested in knowing this. It felt more convienient back when I could use an installer for daily builds.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

This is because Kirben, who used to make the daily builds in installer form, left the project quit suddenly. We plan to eventually provide daily builds as installers again, but this is still work in progress. In the meantime, I hope that unpacking a .zip file and copying scummvm.exe to a suitable location is not too much of a burden to you ;).
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

fingolfin wrote:This is because Kirben, who used to make the daily builds in installer form, left the project quit suddenly. We plan to eventually provide daily builds as installers again, but this is still work in progress. In the meantime, I hope that unpacking a .zip file and copying scummvm.exe to a suitable location is not too much of a burden to you ;).
Actually, not only it isn't a burden IMHO, but I also find it to be easier when I want to keep both a daily build version as well as an actual release on my computer....
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

fingolfin:
It is no bother at all. You are all working on this project in your spare time and for free - and I'm grateful for everything.
The fact that you keep producing stable builds on a daily basis, for so many targets, is simply stunning.

I was just curios about the sudden change, and you've cleared that up. Thanks.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

fingolfin wrote:This is because Kirben, who used to make the daily builds in installer form, left the project quit suddenly. We plan to eventually provide daily builds as installers again, but this is still work in progress. In the meantime, I hope that unpacking a .zip file and copying scummvm.exe to a suitable location is not too much of a burden to you ;).
It's certainly no problem, though I do think that the .tar.gz format for Windows builds might be a bit confusing for some users -- it's not really a common format outside of *nix systems. Then again, most people who download the daily builds are probably familiar with it.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Right, the daily builds for Windows really should be at least .zip files, not .tar.gz. We do have a zip tool on the buildbot, just "somebody" would have to adjust the configuration to get it to make .zip files for Windows.

Most recently that somebody usually would have been me, but I am not available for this anymore. You may want to contact scummvm-devel or file a feature request for this.
Collector

Post by Collector »

A zip makes more sense to me for a daily build. If an installer is really desired, an NSIS script would only take me a few minutes to write, if anyone is interested.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Collector wrote:A zip makes more sense to me for a daily build. If an installer is really desired, an NSIS script would only take me a few minutes to write, if anyone is interested.
We have an NSIS script already. As I understand it the problem is proper testing + setting up buildbot to use it. Littleboy wanted to look into this, but I am not sure whether he found time for it yet.