Upscaling Retro 8-Bit Pixel Art To Vector Graphics

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Seldon wrote:Come on people, get back on Earth. This algorithm is nice, but there is very long way from current state to realtime processing. There are different potential routes to optimizing it, but I personaly woudn't like that scummvm team wastes time on such task (fortunately they are wise enough not to do someones homework). I don't know why are you pushing this huge amount of work on shoulders of Scummvm developers? I'm tired of people who come to these forums with crazy ideas and no knowledge about developing process, and claim that this should be easy, and should be done by scummvm folks (preferably right now).
Anyway, scummvm is open for new enthusiastic people - if you feel that such feature is easy-made and widely needed - join the team. And if you say that you're no programmer, then spare us your ideas and focus on helping scummvm in other way - by testing for example.
Hey, wait, wait a minute! :)
Nobody here is "pushing" anything on devs shoulders, we're just talking (well, dreaming... :lol: ), this is what a forum is for.
New ideas raise questions, new possibilities raise fantasies but, relax, here anybody will never do what he doesn't want to because this engine is not a commercial project (and thank God for this).
Let us have an exchange.
Last edited by topolinik on Sat May 28, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

marticus wrote:I'd like to see it applied to some screenshots at least :)
So would I.
If a couple of these screenshot would exist, I think there would be new developers offering their support.

...and a huge amount of bothering kids asking "Add this! Pleeease add this!", :lol:
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

The 2 links to the papers seem to be down I think but Slashdot linked to Extreme Tech. It might not be a full screenshot but they have a 40x16 Mario dolphin with the process applied.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 811,00.asp
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Red_Breast wrote:The 2 links to the papers seem to be down
I never saw the originals, but I think he just moved them. His Publications page has what I believe are the updated links.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks erik - no doubt a lot of it will go over my head and understanding. But I'll give it a try.
The linked page has links to the Microsoft page with more examples like the dolphin.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

it looks amazing. Similar with eagle filtering but much more advanced.

loved to see this implemented here. of course, that is, if it doesn't affect performance too much.
balpat

Post by balpat »

It looks like I'm the only one who doesn't like this. I think it looks horrible.

Don't get me wrong, I like upscaling low-res graphics as much as any other man but, in my opinion, so far the only filter that "works" is 2xSAI.

I realize that all screenshots on this site are made with the HQ2x filter active. Technically, HQ2x is very impressive as it seems to calculate the most appropriate pixels. But I think it usually renders the whole screen somewhat strangely ... jaggily - I can't really explain.

2xSAI on the other hand does an almost perfect blend of guessing and blurring to upscale and soften the original picture without getting too blurry or too jaggy.

Then again, 2xSAI really only works when you're doubling the resolution - anything higher than that in the effect fails.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

balpat wrote:It looks like I'm the only one who doesn't like this. I think it looks horrible.
I don't think I said that I liked it. In fact I never use filters myself. But I do find it interesting technically.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Red_Breast wrote:I don't think I said that I liked it. In fact I never use filters myself. But I do find it interesting technically.
Same for me :)

Never play with filters myself, but this is neat stuff nonetheless.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

IMO I this is only neat with rounded things. Check out the gallery to see different sprites acting weird. It also has a bunch of different filters compared

I don't think a single filter will ever give you perfect results in all situations.

You can get "pretty good results" for a given situation with the right filter. That same filter will look very odd in a different situation.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

a similar upscaling technique that existed already in 2004:

http://www.hiend3d.com/smartflt.html
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

Red_Breast wrote:The 2 links to the papers seem to be down I think but Slashdot linked to Extreme Tech. It might not be a full screenshot but they have a 40x16 Mario dolphin with the process applied.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 811,00.asp
And that Mario dolphin happens to be the only sprite in the whole site that looks moderately good with this "filter" applied.

I might be looking at the wrong site, because I certainly don't think this can do any good:
Seriously, how can they show those atrocities as proof of their "improvements"?

This is not the late 90's anymore, pixel art is cool again, guys!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I've always thought pixel filters were ugly. Pixels all the way.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I've always thought pixel filters were ugly. Pixels all the way.
Here is a random idea. The Dotmatrix filter in ScummVM may be worth expanding upon.
Not all scales are possible, but it can me made to look good with 2x, 3x, 3.5x, 4x, 4.5x, and up...

This is just a quick Gimp mash-up. If done it code, you could even make it compensate for loss of contrast.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

Hey, it looks like watching a videogame mosaic.

Pretty cool, but... what would be the point? I mean, it would also look cool with a crayon-scribble filter, but that's not being suggested to be included in SCUMMVM for obvious reasons...