LucasArts could be coming to GOG.com

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rosstifer1712

LucasArts could be coming to GOG.com

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

YIPEEE!!! It looks like LucasArts could be on GOG either at the start of the summer or in the fall.

GOG have managed to acquire licences from 3 publishers but they won't say who, one is definitley confirmed and the other 2 are possible, is between either LucasArts, EA, Take2, Microsoft and Square Enix.

My money is on they've got LA, EA and Square Enix and honestly I could see EA been the one with the 25 games been released in the summer and LA and Square Enix will release theres by the fall.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Lucasarts, EA and Square Enix (Eidos) would be very nice on GOG.com :)

Besides the Lucasarts adventure games, there's System Shock, Wing Commander, Thief and plenty of more gold.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

I watched the conference and did not see any confirmation that it was between LucasArts, EA, Take2, Microsoft or Square Enix - where exactly did you derive that from? Did i miss something?
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Seeing LucasArts in it could just be wishful thinking. After all, over at LucasForums there was an effort to link all the hints given to LucasArts titles. So, what was the first thing unveiled? Alone in the Dark. And for some reason I can't put my finger on, I have the feeling that LucasArts management would rather be pulled through a wheat thresher backwards than sell their old adventure titles bundled with DOSBox or ScummVM. But events could prove me wrong and I would be happy to be proven wrong.
Rosstifer1712

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

scoriae wrote:I watched the conference and did not see any confirmation that it was between LucasArts, EA, Take2, Microsoft or Square Enix - where exactly did you derive that from? Did i miss something?
GOG said those 5 were the most requested and they've spoken to 3 of them, one is officially confirmed and will release 25 games in the summer but we don't know who it is and the other 2 are possibilties and could release their games by the fall if all goes well.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Yeah, the frenchman talks about this at the very end of the presentation.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Too bad GOG still totally ignores the international market. Here in Germany games got localized since the 80's but still these can't be found on GOG. The LA adventures in particular had great translations.
fldc

Post by fldc »

Bobbin wrote:Too bad GOG still totally ignores the international market. Here in Germany games got localized since the 80's but still these can't be found on GOG. The LA adventures in particular had great translations.
You actually mean the french and german market, most other countries don't get localized versions and are happy enough with that. :D Why is it these countries localize and dub everything? ;)
grim107

Post by grim107 »

Wouldn't this be bad news? If LucasArts licensed their adventure games to GOG, wouldn't that destroy any possibility of seeing any more enhanced versions or (dare I say it) sequels? Furthermore, wouldn't this move be implying that they are no longer considering doing anything in the adventure genre?

LucasArts has always seemed protective of their titles. I'd be very surprised if this went through.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I'm just trying to imagine the screams of anguish if it turns out that they do have a deal with LucasArts, but it only includes Star Wars: Behind the Magic or something like that. :)
Rosstifer1712

Post by Rosstifer1712 »

If LucasArts were the ones to have 25 games on GOG, 14 of them would be the adventure titles and the other 11 maybe a mixture of Star Wars and other e.g. Outlaws and AfterLife.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

fldc wrote:You actually mean the french and german market, most other countries don't get localized versions and are happy enough with that. :D Why is it these countries localize and dub everything? ;)
Lucasfilm Games even localized to Hebrew ;) Sierra started localizing with Space Quest III and these are the versions I grew up with. Not to mention that some of the localizations are really brilliant like Jagged Alliance 2. It's about nostalgia and when Steam manages to have localized versions (at least for the most part) GOG should also be able to, especially when the games are about nostalgia and that means playing the games the way you remember them.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

First off, the 25 title publisher is VERY unlikely to be LA. I simply don't believe they have the back catalog to support something like this. Plus they tend to maintain tight control over the star wars titles. I was actually surprised to see them appear on Steam.

It is much more likely to be EA or Square\Enix, assuming that his "top 5 requested publishers" is in line with what the community considers the top 5 requested publishers.

The GoG guys have been known to extenuate the truth for hype quite often in the past.

Dungeon Keeper is by far one of the most requested games, along with some other bullfrog titles. Bullfrog got swallowed by EA. So when they say they have the top five requested publishers, it could be very well that they signed a deal with EA just to publish the ex-bullfrog titles. Or a deal with Square\Enix just to publish the CORE titles. So, my point is they could have signed deals with these sub-publishers that dont exist any more, and not with the over-arching parent publisher that owns everything.

And even if they do get Lucas Arts, these guys can't work magic. Grim Fandango isn't suddenly going to be released working perfectly. All they do is pack up games with emulators anyways, with a few exceptions such as the year 2000 and forward releases like Neverwinter Nights, that are still new enough to run fine with windows.

Ultimately - if they do get added , then the best thing that will come of it is everyone at the GoG forums (and several other places) will finally stop guessing that LA is coming every time a new game is announced.. ;)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

On the other hand, there's currently a teaser for something that looks like Outlaws...

Wait and see!
balpat

Post by balpat »

I'm afraid it's not Outlaws but "Desperados" (another cool game).