Kinect with ScummVM!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

Kinect with ScummVM!

Post by clone2727 »

Happy April Fools' Day!

We are very excited to announce support for ScummVM on Linux using Kinect!

Through the tireless efforts of a few coders, Strangerke, LordHoto, and Hkz, they have managed to come up with an amazing per-game gesture system. This new Kinect input system recognizes player input and translates it to mouse and keyboard presses which are then processed by the game engine. Unfortunately, this currently only works with the Kinect for Linux drivers.

The code is still very much a work-in-progress, but we've put up some screenshots of various developers testing out their favorite games in ScummVM. Here's ST testing out Backyard Soccer, myself playing Full Throttle, Hkz playing Gabriel Knight, and DrMcCoy playing Urban Runner.

Stay tuned for more info and a daily build should be expected within the next few days! :)
Last edited by clone2727 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hum, there was also a picture of me playing Fascination, but it has been censored... Too bad :P
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Just ordered 2 kinects, one for the pc and one for my plasma AF-TV, thanks!!!

:lol:
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That's the best news I've ever heard!

Now, all that ScummVM is missing is high definition support. I'd really like to play Maniac Mansion @ 720p! This will work beautifully with a Kinect :)
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

As fascinating as Kinect is, thanks for showing how useless it is for the majority of control schemes. However, implementing Move (I read about some kind of SDK Sony wants to introduce the coming months) would be great :)
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

md5 wrote:That's the best news I've ever heard!

Now, all that ScummVM is missing is high definition support. I'd really like to play Maniac Mansion @ 720p! This will work beautifully with a Kinect :)
Why stop at 720p? 1080p is the way to go, heck 4k res is the future! Do it! Now! ;)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Once bitten twice shy I'm afraid clone. I'm familiar now with the yearly news post on the first day of April.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Red_Breast wrote:Once bitten twice shy I'm afraid clone. I'm familiar now with the yearly news post on the first day of April.
What are you talking about? We always have awesome news to share with the fans on April 1. Remember three years ago?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Hehe awesome, maybe you can add some extra interactivity to some games to go with this new control scheme.
The musical duel scene from MI3 can totally be made playable air-guitar style!

@Red_Breast: Ssst! You are supposed to play along.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

md5 wrote:I'd really like to play Maniac Mansion @ 720p!
320x200 with a 3x scaler and aspect ratio correction = 720p ;)
clone2727 wrote:We always have awesome news to share with the fans on April 1. Remember three years ago?
And sometimes, news just take a little bit longer to become reality. Remember CABAL?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

You know, a fair number of these posts *have* come true :lol: Don't forget Urban Runner last year.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

KuroShiro wrote:You know, a fair number of these posts *have* come true :lol: Don't forget Urban Runner last year.
Support this year was just a January Fools' joke.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

bobdevis wrote: @Red_Breast: Ssst! You are supposed to play along.
Well it was past 12 midday when I posted. You can only use April Fools up until midday. At least that's what I was taught to believe.
That's my defence but...
Of course I should of realised anyway that with the internet being a global thing that in some areas of the world it wasn't midday yet.

That Kyrandia 2 joke was a little before my time.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Red_Breast wrote:Well it was past 12 midday when I posted. You can only use April Fools up until midday. At least that's what I was taught to believe.
That's a British thing. Everywhere else in the world it's the whole day :P
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Red_Breast wrote:That Kyrandia 2 joke was a little before my time.
What Kyrandia 2 joke? The news entry clone linked was some real news entry not a joke.