MUNT Reloaded?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

circletheory

Post by circletheory »

MusicallyInspired wrote:The flyby ship sound from SQ4 is used for the Alluminum Mallard as it swoops down to land on a planet. Though, I can't remember now if it was a digital sound or just an MT-32 sound...at any rate "Where am I?" is the only digital sound effect unique to the digital sound driver. All the other digital sound effects are just lo-fi recordings of the MT-32 equivalents.

KQ1SCI has quite a bit of digital sounds, again mostly from the MT-32, but also a handful of unique ones. QFG2 has lots of digital MT-32 sounds. I can't remember at the moment if any are unique or not. I know that KQ4, being the first SCI0 game, doesn't have any. I don't think Camelot or LSL2 does either. LSL3 might.
I'm slightly confused. Is that 'Where Am I' sample actually coming from the MT-32? I don't recall hearing that from my MT-32 in the past.

When you say 'digital sounds' are you referring to the SB or the MT-32? I don't recall hearig any digitized samples from my SB on earlier EGA SCI games, only on the newer ones.
Collector

Post by Collector »

The "Where am I?" is a digital sound only heard from the SNDBLAST.DRV driver, as MI noted, not the MT32.DRV. QfG2 had digital sounds. The first one was in the intro for the genie belly ripper laugh. On the MT-32 the genie's laugh sound more like a moan. Unfortunately, the MT-32 driver used in the MTBLAST.DRV was not compatible with QfG2, you had to have AdLib music with digital sounds or MT-32 music with only the sound effects from the MT-32.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Ah yes, the Genie laugh. Forgot about that one.

And yeah, what Collector said. I had said that the "Where am I?" line was the only unique sound effect exclusive to the SNDBLAST.DRV & MTBLAST.DRV drivers.
xadox

Post by xadox »

What do I need to use the munt emulation?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

• Get an MT-32 (a broken one is ok as long as the chips are not damaged)
  • Dump the EPROMS from it (google for instructions and equipment - ideally with help from a friend who knows what they're doing with electronics)
  • Put the rom dumps in the extras directory
xadox

Post by xadox »

Oh ok, that was the part with the original rom files.
I thought Munt is working without them.

Thx for the feedback.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

MUNT will never work without them until Roland admits them as public domain.