MUNT Reloaded?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

circletheory
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:37 pm

MUNT Reloaded?

Post by circletheory »

There's a thread on VOGONS that have a group of talented developers improving the MUNT engine. http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=27560 Since I love love LOVE how ScummVM adjusts the colors and graphics of the Sierra SCI games, I was wondering if there has been any thought of merging in the updated MUNT code to the ScummVM branch? I've heard samples from a recent SVN DosBox build and it sounds brilliant! If ScummVM could be updated to the latest MUNT, this would be HEAVENLY!!

Keep up the FANTASTIC work guys!!

User avatar
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: USA

Post by tsoliman »

I tried it too. It is closer to the real thing but it consumes way too much CPU compared with the old one.

Integrating it into scummvm now would make it impractical to people who have laptops (which is the whole point of munt IMO).

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Post by sev »

I think we can consider adding it, but as an alternative MT-32 emulator, just like we're doing now with FMOPL emulator.


Eugene

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3329
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sev wrote:I think we can consider adding it, but as an alternative MT-32 emulator, just like we're doing now with FMOPL emulator.
Before anyone puts too much work into that, this is what the README file on http://sourceforge.net/projects/muntreloaded/ says:
Since many of my proposed changes are going to be included into the MUNT Project or at least into a separate branch, the MUNT Reloaded fork is closed. It'll be completely deleted as the upcoming MUNT release appears.

MUNT Reloaded sources are moved to https://github.com/munt/munt/tree/munt_reloaded_import

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Post by sev »

Yep, thanks for the pointer. I just read about it on VOGONS. Basically there is no MUNT reloaded anymore, they're going to be merged. Also there are some more under the hood developments which are expected to lead the project to completion, i.e. 100% accuracy.

Still taking into account that the API practically did not change, it would be not much work to plug in new code into the place.


Eugene

circletheory
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Post by circletheory »

sev wrote:Still taking into account that the API practically did not change, it would be not much work to plug in new code into the place.
I hope the inclusion of the updated MUNT code will be seamless for you developers. It's wonderful that you folks would even consider this MT-32 upgrade -- now I really can't wait for the next version!

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Posts: 1050
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Exciting!

User avatar
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: USA

Post by tsoliman »

I take back what I said before about performance being worse
It is now as good as v0.1.3! This is after the most recent commit that just happened 3 hours ago.

Exciting indeed!

I will wait until the project is complete (or at least stalls) before trying to integrate this into scummvm. In the meantime I will just use the munt alsa driver which works perfectly with both scummvm and dosbox.

OmerMor
Got a warning
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Post by OmerMor »

Guys, this is unbelievable. Just tried the latest DosBox SVN build from http://ykhwong.x-y.net/ and the mt32 emulation is so close to the real thing. It's nowhere near the old emulator integrated into scummvm.
When they reach 100% accuracy I might as well sell my mt-32.

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Posts: 1050
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Post by MusicallyInspired »

OmerMor wrote:Guys, this is unbelievable. Just tried the latest DosBox SVN build from http://ykhwong.x-y.net/ and the mt32 emulation is so close to the real thing. It's nowhere near the old emulator integrated into scummvm.
When they reach 100% accuracy I might as well sell my mt-32.
I'll take it! Always wanted a second one :).

ykhwong
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 am
Location: Suwon, South Korea

Post by ykhwong »

MUNT reloaded project was integrated into MUNT git.: https://github.com/munt/munt/

Recently its accuracy, performance, and reverb have been improved a lot. I think that 2011-04-06 commit (97204aabd3e5d8b38185) is the most stable as of now. The MUNT developers are currently working on it for better accuracy.

It wouldn't be that hard to implement it to ScummVM if file handling is customized for the emulator.

User avatar
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Germany

Post by LordHoto »

ykhwong wrote:MUNT reloaded project was integrated into MUNT git.: https://github.com/munt/munt/

Recently its accuracy, performance, and reverb have been improved a lot. I think that 2011-04-06 commit (97204aabd3e5d8b38185) is the most stable as of now. The MUNT developers are currently working on it for better accuracy.

It wouldn't be that hard to implement it to ScummVM if file handling is customized for the emulator.
KingGuppy will work on integrating it into ScummVM when he feels MUNT is ready.

Bobbin
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:41 am
Location: Germany

Post by Bobbin »

Hi ykhwong, nice to read from you here. Just wanted to say Thanks for your great DosBox builds, especially the recent inclusion of Munt which finally made me play Space Quest 3 again which sounds fairly nice by now.

ykhwong
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 am
Location: Suwon, South Korea

Post by ykhwong »

Bobbin wrote:Hi ykhwong, nice to read from you here. Just wanted to say Thanks for your great DosBox builds, especially the recent inclusion of Munt which finally made me play Space Quest 3 again which sounds fairly nice by now.
All credits should go to MUNT developers, not me. I am just giving some feedbacks to them. :)
LordHoto wrote:KingGuppy will work on integrating it into ScummVM when he feels MUNT is ready.
It's good to hear that KingGuppy is going to have it included in ScummVM. Thanks for the information.

circletheory
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:37 pm

MUNT updated

Post by circletheory »

Was just doing my routine lurking in the VOGONS forums regarding MUNT and downloaded ykhwong's DosBox build. All I can say is, wow. Unbelievable. Now, my Roland MT-32 is nothing more than a nice mantle piece on my desk. The emulation is completely spot on. And the reverb finally sounds correct.

I really hope to see the latest MUNT absorbed into ScummVM soon!

Post Reply