Toonstruck - I have the discs, but how can I play?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rob8000

Toonstruck - I have the discs, but how can I play?

Post by rob8000 »

Hi there,

I have used ScummVM in the past (for games like DOTD and such), but I have no idea how to get Toonstruck to work. I have the discs as I bought it about 15 years ago, but I have no idea how to get it to work (e.g. I have no clue as to how Daily Builds work, etc.)

Would anyone be so kind as to write me a list of instructions?

Thanks very much.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi there,

A good start would be to read the manual (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual).
If you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask

Best regards,
Strangerke
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I was just about to add if you've used ScummVM then that's all you need to know. The daily builds are a bit more up to date. That's all.
RunBeerRun

Post by RunBeerRun »

What I did was drag the contents of both discs onto a folder on my hard drive, then direct Scumm to that folder.
rob8000

Post by rob8000 »

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I've done what the above poster has done also, but ScummVM isn't picking it up :( do I need a 'daily build'? I understand what a DB is but I'm totally unsure of how to install one.

EDIT: I am using 1.2.1, which I believe is the latest version. I have copied both discs' contents into a folder on the C drive (that I've called ToonStruck), and, on ScummVM, I've clicked Add Game when the aforementioned folder is highlighted, but nothing :(
rob8000

Post by rob8000 »

Sorted!

Using a daily build.

Thanks for the support, everyone.
kawickboy

Post by kawickboy »

Hello,

does someone know if last part's bug is corrected if the game is launched with scummvm ?
yes, in the castle, when you put the air conditioning too hot in order to get the key hidden in the aquarium you always arrive too late on some faster cpu (>Pentium 100mhz if i remember well).
(there's a crash for similar reason on space quest 6 at the begenning of the 2nd part).

i'm using french release (excuse my poor english quality so).
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi kawickboy.

SylvainTV fixed several bugs present in the original games, most of them related to timer issues. The more obvious ones, iirc, were the gift-o-matic and the Wacman.

I played several times the game some months ago to find bugs and completed the game without any issue the last time I played. I had to try 2 or 3 times before getting this key, but not more, even if my CPU is somewhat faster than 100Mhz.

So... Grab your originals and give it a try :)

Best regards,
Strangerke
kawickboy

Post by kawickboy »

2 or 3 times is normal in the history in my remains. Thanks for this fast answer.
kurt

Post by kurt »

Hi. I'm playing the game in Spanish and when I look the book in the wolf's cave from the inventory I get this screen.

Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

kurt wrote:Hi. I'm playing the game in Spanish and when I look the book in the wolf's cave from the inventory I get this screen.
Sounds like this bug. It was supposedly fixed a few weeks ago, but I don't know if the fix made it into 1.3.1 or if it was only fixed in the development version.
kurt

Post by kurt »

Yes, it is.

I've scummvm 1.3.1 and this error appears.

Thanks eriktorbjorn.
toonstruckplayer

in game issue

Post by toonstruckplayer »

I just started the game and I have no on screen buttons for menu or anything of that sort... Also when trying to speak to the npcs it skips straight to ending the conversations, I can see The buttons on the bottom left corner of the screen flash for a second then disappear... any help or insight would really be appreciated
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: in game issue

Post by eriktorbjorn »

toonstruckplayer wrote:Also when trying to speak to the npcs it skips straight to ending the conversations,
The computer I run ScummVM on is currently out of order, so this answer is theoretical. That one sounds like the kind of problem you'd get in some game engines if the files containing the speech are missing or damaged/truncated. Did you copy all the necessary files from the discs?