Issue with installing subtitle patch in 1.0 GOG release

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

zxtheproto

Issue with installing subtitle patch in 1.0 GOG release

Post by zxtheproto »

EDIT: This is likely unnecessary, especially if you're not using the original 1.0 GOG release (pre-ScummVM inclusion), and may cause other issues. Discussion continues below.

Original post:

I know that a lot of the more tech-focused individuals might find this obvious, but this should probably be added to the wiki. Installing the subtitle patch using the GOG installation of The Beast Within requires a bit more configuration than is outlined by the pop-up message:

1. Download the game as usual via GOG.

2. Open up the "PATCHES" directory in your installation. Delete everything in the folder. (Installing the subtitle patch over the files in the GOG version will cause ScummVM to crash.)

3. Download the Subtitle patch from this link, and extract the executable inside into a directory. Also download this patch to prevent a bug where the start and introduction buttons are missing.

4. Copy the "PATCHES" folder from the extracted executable into your Gabriel Knight 2 installation. Also copy the second patch into this folder.

5. Add the game to ScummVM. It should now be fully playable, including the added subtitles.
Last edited by zxtheproto on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Guide: How to Install the Subtitle Patch in Gabriel Knight 2 from GOG

Post by sev »

This is a bit concerning, especially step #2 tells me that you're trying to cure the symptoms, not a cause.

Thus, I declare this instruction incorrect.

So, what is the ScummVM version you're trying to run this on, and could you please provide details on the crash?

Eugene
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

In addition to what sev has written, could you please:
- Test with the latest version of ScummVM, starting with the official stable one (currently v2.2.0), and not the one bundled with GOG which is quite older.
- Simply copy the patch files (ie. the contents of the SUBPATCH folder after extracting the "GK2Subtitles.exe" patch itself), over the "PATCHES" folder within the GOG installation folder for the game, and enable Speech and Text for the Game from the ScummVM Launcher (Edit Game..., Audio Tab) if not already enabled by default.
- Describe any issues that you are encountering (crash or missing icons), ideally by opening a ticket on our bug tracker, so that the proper developers can join in and track progress.

Edit: modified my instructions, since the "Extra Path" method seems to not work in this case, and additionally there is already a commit with instructions to copy and (overwrite where necessary) the subtitles' files into the PATCHES folder:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull ... c7a11e243a
zxtheproto

Post by zxtheproto »

I thought the ScummVM team recommended against using the Gabriel Knight 2K patch with ScummVM? I remember there being issues with it in the past, but perhaps I'm wrong.

In any case, this seems to be an issue with the earlier DOSBox-based version - I couldn't replicate this with the current ScummVM-based release on a new installation. I didn't get a crash to the logger; it was a consistent program-level crash. I was using the most recent version (2.2.0), and the install worked previously without the patch.
SupSuper

Re: Issue with installing subtitle patch in 1.0 GOG release

Post by SupSuper »

Support for the GK2 subtitle patch was officially added in ScummVM 2.1.1, per the NEWS.md:
2.1.1 ":More sheep:" (2020-01-31)
SCI:
- Added support for GK2 fan-made subtitle patches.
Gandgolf

Post by Gandgolf »

Does the patch not display subtitle for dialog?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Gandgolf wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:18 pm Does the patch not display subtitle for dialog?
I've only tried the English subtitles patch on the GOG version of the game, and it does display subtitles for dialogue (as far as I tested, which is the first chapter mostly). It occasionally will not show subtitles when English text is on screen, eg. Gabriel reading a letter or a document from his inventory, shown on screen.

Edit: One thing to note though is that setting the game for speech only, or subtitles only does not work (not in ScummVM 2.5.0 anyway). It always has speech and subtitles for me with the subtitles patch installed.
Gandgolf

Post by Gandgolf »

Praetorian wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:47 am
Gandgolf wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:18 pm Does the patch not display subtitle for dialog?
I've only tried the English subtitles patch on the GOG version of the game, and it does display subtitles for dialogue (as far as I tested, which is the first chapter mostly). It occasionally will not show subtitles when English text is on screen, eg. Gabriel reading a letter or a document from his inventory, shown on screen.

Edit: One thing to note though is that setting the game for speech only, or subtitles only does not work (not in ScummVM 2.5.0 anyway). It always has speech and subtitles for me with the subtitles patch installed.
Thanks for the info, I managed to get it working.
blam666

Post by blam666 »

Also, adding to the problem you can't turn off the subtitles by using the audio override tab, I get a forced nag message each time I want to play the game about the subtitles offering to download them when I haven't installed them, which is a bit unfortunate. There seems to be no way to turn that nag off.

I love the english subtitles for the english version, but I have also a dub in another language I'd like to try out for which the english subtitles are in that case distracting and useless. But when I uninstall the patch for that version by deleting the patches folder, I will inevitably get that nag when I try to start the game in that language.